Bad business decision?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 2zeroturns, Oct 16, 2006.

1. 2zeroturns

2zeroturns LawnSite Member

was contacted by a long time friend that has only a mowing service. his new client was needing fert & weed control and parts of sod redone and backyard totally reworked from the bad summer. he new i was a lawn care company that did everything which is why he contacted me. about 2 weeks went by after we did some applications and had a plan for this fall. they contacted me wanting to fire my friend and hire us to do everything. i was totally against this! they argued that they wanted a company to do everything, which is what we do. so my question is do i lose this new customer for the sake of a business friend ( which by the way, have given him business in the past) or should i consider this a business decision and let him get over it? I'm just not comfortable either way!

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

this shouldn't be a question. Tell your friend what happened and see what he says.

3. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Be straight up with your friend, let him know what's going on. I'd tell the client thanks, but no, and tell them why. It takes years to develop a good relationship and only 2 seconds to destroy one, usually over trust and/ or money.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

There is a reason that they wantout of your friends route so they may leave him no matter what---SO, Talk to your friend but if the friendship is something that is important and you want others referrals in the future from him-- I would let these customers go.

5. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

This is much bigger than a "friendship/relationship" issue. This is a test of your character. Anyone who would cut another person's throat by taking that account has a MAJOR integrity problem. You have not done anything wrong at this point; I hope you make the right choice and keep it that way.
    It's good that you are asking for advice - it shows that your conscience is still alive and healthy! Do what's right and never look back.

6. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

there are hundreds of customers out there, just like SurfnTurf said, relationships are built on trust and hard to come by, and this is a scenario that can and will destroy it.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree PM,
    I think the friend will lose this one anyway, but I would let him in on the info. and see what he says. one other way to handle it would be to talk to the friend about the fact he will probably lose this account, go ahead and take the account over, then sub out the mowing to your friend. wallah your friend and you both still have the account.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
    oh, and by no means should you take a friends work without agreeing before hand.
    I do a ton of sub work for a very good friend that does all but fert. & squirt. I wouldn't even allow this to be a consideration. but he provides me over 30 acres of excellent paying sub work, not worth letting that go for 1 job

8. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I think Stumper has the best idea on this one. Keep your friend doing this job by whatever means. Unless the customer is unhappy with quality of his work, they should have no objections to an arrangement like this. Good luck to both of you.

9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely talk this over with your friend and come to a solution between the 2 of you. Subbing it back to him would be a win/win (unless the customer has a quality issue)

10. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

This shouldnt even be a question to you. Dont even think the way you are. THeres thousands of yard care jobs out there and your thinking of taking one away from a person helping you out. c'mon