Bad business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Apr 27, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, just thought i would share this with some of you here. I somewhat of a newcomer to this business, and with all the hoopla that goes with it. I have opened an account with my local shemin nursery here with anticipation of nothing but positive experiances there. The place is huge alot of stock, alot of sales people and alot of knowledge floating around there. Well i a have been there three times, all to my disappointment have been pretty misareable!! I have a cash only account, im a new business so im sure thats all they would give me, but whenever i try and check with there office to see if i did get any credit they stall and stall and stall. The other day i was there, asked the same girl i have asked three times before and afer about 15 minutes of waiting i happened to look outside around the corner and there she was huffing a stogie with another guy!! I just got in the truck and left. I spoke with the manager to see when he would be ordering begonias that i will soon be needing for a big job, he was very short, rude and didnt give me the time of day, i asked since he seemed so busy if he could have someone give me some advice and he told me only if its within reason. WHAT IN THE H@%# IS THAT SUPPOSE TO MEAN. I told him nevermind and thanks anyway. It seems if yoiu are not a large established business there they wont give you the time of day, but you have to start somewhere right? Im sure all these guys didnt just poof and have all this nice pretty equipment with hundreds of clientelle right? Needless to say im gonna now look for another supplier i really hate being treated rudely. Its a shame too because this place is so close to me and i dont know of any other that is close by.I am just really disappointed in how that darn nursery has treated me. Im sorry for the lengthy post just wanted to vent a little and share this bad experiance with everyone. =)
  2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

no excuse for that behaviour..I would go over the managers head...owner should know about it
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

hate to advise this but a little raising cane
    is sometime necessary . not enough to get kicked out but
    just a cutomer who can be a pain. Lowes pulled somthin like this with me once and i smiled while i told them what sorry service i thought i was getting.In my case it worked pretty good and we now have a good working relationship.
    they knew i was not going to quit talking about there poor service until it got dont go to throwin hands up there,then they win
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Id find a different supplier to do business with. I buy sod at this sod farm maybe 6 times a year but every time I walk in they treat me with the same respect as if I dumped a million bucks a year at the place. Nice feeling. And as such they are the only ones I buy my sod from.

As for the credit part, when I started out I had to guarantee the account with my personal VISA card, if the account was overdue they would be able to charge to the card. But other suppliers didnt know that so this one would give favorable references and I now have open accounts everywhere.
  5. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I had a bad experience with Lowes about 5 years ago when I built my house. I went in with a bid sheet on the materials to build my house. The Contractors desk had already closed but the manager on duty out the sheet somewhere the desk crew could find it the next morning and said someone would call me. I went around to cabinets to talk to the guy about cabinet prices and construction. He was with some other customers. My wife and I waited and waited and waited. We sat on a big ladder about 20 feet from the employee we waited, we got up and went to look at something a few isles down, came back and waited. We ended up waiting for about 35 minutes when the guy started loking at his watch, he had to go ask the manager several questions while he was helping the other couple. WE WAITED LONGER! We had finally waited nearly an hour. He finally told the other couple he would have to call the supplier about one of the questions the next morning. They could tell he was getting restless, so they told him they would call back in the morning. He proceded to get his things together to leave. We had been waiting on this JERK for over an hour and he is leaving, so I asked him if he could help us right quick and he replies in a very hateful manner, "I WAS SUPPOSE TO GET OFF 35 MINUTES AGO AND I HAVE SOMEWHERE TO BE!" to which I replied in an even more hateful manner, "THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU TELL US THAT WHEN WE WALKED UP OVER AN HOUR AGO." He claimed he didn't know we were sitting on that ladder 10 to 15 minutes at a time in the back corner of the store next to his desk waiting on him. I went to find the manager I had given the Bid sheet to. He had gotten off 35 minutes ago, So I told the manager on duty what had happened and he needed to go back to the contractors desk and find the sheet and tear it up, because I wouldn't be doing business with them. He assured me I could come back in the morning and talk to some one about cabinets and talk to the manager about the service I had recieved. I polietly told him I said to go tear the sheet up, I WOULD NOT be doing business with them. The next morning the manager I had talked to the evining before called after I had left to tell me he had the bid sheet ready and my wife told him they had wasted their time because I told the manager we wouldn't be back, and we haven't!
  6. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I had a problem with Lowes last year in Feb my wife and I bought our new home and we went to Lowes to buy all new appliances everything. When they showed up with them at the house and brought them in to set all them up in their places they ripped some floreing in the washer/ dryer closet and the fridge did not have the connection stuff for the ice maker line or the owners manaul. The guys said we will be back with it and hook the line up before five pm well they never showed or called so the next day I called and spoke to a manger and they did not even show that bought anything now I spent over $2500 there and they did not show anything on me. Finaly I went ther and showed them the reciept and then still had trouble on the missing water line parts they said it was with the fridge and so was the manual. I got mad as heck and told them NO they were not then the manager sends an employee to go locate the parts and a manual he comes back with the parts could not find a manual and she rings the parts up. I said what are you doing those were sopposed to come withe the fridge she hands them to me and says here you go and walked off into an office. I then wanted to know when they were going to come hook the line up another employee got the manager and she wanted to charge me for that I said hell no I want your manager she would not get him for me another employee did and she got pretty mad over that I told him the whole story and he his self came to my home and connected it. I was not going to go back to Lowes every again but he told me that they have had a number of complaint on her and he would take care of it. I never seen her there again I wonder what happend?
  7. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Project your self as a business owner,
    They do not need to know how big or how
    small your business is. They will only tell
    by the way you project yourself to them.
    If you are haveing problems with thier employees
    don't deal with employees deal with the manager
    If the problem is with the manager deal with the
    owner and tell them- that you are a local landscaper
    and are looking to do business with them but
    are having problems getting service. Remind them
    that you are buying weekly and not a home owner only buy
    stuff once a year. and get a deposit for your
    landscape jobs and pay cash for your supplies
    after the nursey has seen you there often buying stuff
    and getting to you and you getting to know them
    they will give you credit it just takes time.
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd find someone whom WANTS my business

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Back in my scrub days I bought a handheld gas blower from them and there was a recall on them because there was a possibility of fire with it. Well after consulting with the garden manager and asst. manager of the store, they said the machine didn't come from there. I bought it about a yr. and a half earlier. Seems to me they would have given me the benifit of doubt and sent it to the repair folks as good customer relations. But Home Depot is on the way!