bad case of poison ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, Feb 22, 2003.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Last Sunday I went to my parents house to put some new trailer lights and wiring on. When I was done, my arm was itching so what did I do ITCH it..I didnt think nothing of it...Well now I have it all over both arms and on my face..My 1 eye is swelled shut and its hitting the other 1...I did some research on poison ivy and its doing everything the web site said it would do..says it lasts 10-14 days..Im on the 6th day...
    Any of you guys know some good ol home cures for this...At least to get the swelling down from my eyes..

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Don't mess around, go to the doctor and get the proper medicine. My leg got infected two years ago. The doc said I was lucky.

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a new product out that is called Zanfel. I have gotten poison ivy pretty bad several times. My aunt gave me an article out of the Washington Times about Zanfel. Go here to research it more
  4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

If your eyes are swelling shut it is time to quit messing around and go see a doctor! :eek:
  5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

One of my workers had a bad case of it 2 weeks ago. sent them to the doctor. dried up in 3 days.
  6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

As stated above get to the doctor asap. Several years ago when working in my own yard I got it really bad all over both arms. I waited too, but it got so much. After getting to the doctor I got a shot for the itching and a steriod pack and got better really fast.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The only time that I get it, is when I'm weedeating an unfamiluar area. And it's usually on my legs. When your eyes are affected, it's time to go to the doctor. Don't wait any longer. The doctor will give you better medicine than you can buy at a drug store.
  8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Oral Ivy. Works WELL.
  9. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

For on the skin - arms, legs, etc - rubbing a dry bar of old fashioned lye soap over the area gets rid of it overnight for me, but near the eyes, like the other said, get yourself to a Doc. Also works great on fire ant bites and chiggers.
  10. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

There is some stuff you can get over hte counter called IVAREX or IVARES I forget which name. Seems to work good for me. But it sounds like you got a real problem. I'd think about heading to the doc's office