Bad Check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AGLawnCare, Nov 17, 2003.

1. AGLawnCare

AGLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I have this one lady who has sent 3 checks. First 2 came back bad. Third one sitting on my desk. Do i cash the third one and risk the money? or ask for cash or something else?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would have stopped her on the first one. Any bounced checks revert our customers to a cash only basis + any fees incurred. :cool:

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hey Ag
    you need to talk with her in ohio it a felony, if over $150 I think ,plus if thers so many in a certain amount of time thats another law she broke, passing bad checks Maybe inform her that to avoid you having to turn her in she has got to make them good within 24 hrs.

4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell her you are afraid of more bounced check charges and that you prefer cash for this time, unless she guarantees that her banking problem is solved.

5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Really???............................Who cares about a couple of bouncy cheques?
    I have written a couple that didn't clear in my time to places where I have an account and would be pis#ed if they put me on a "cash only basis". (these things happen!........It's called LIFE)

I have receved a fair few bouncers and I just charge them next time for the incurred fee.

Everybody go's thru financial hardship from time to time!

Paponte,
    I think this "cash only basis" arfter one bad cheque is BS. JMHO..........Sorry mate but I find it's a whole lot better to be a people orientated buisness...............Ya know what I mean?

Each to their own though.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just take it to her bank, and they can tell you if there is enough money in the account to clear. If there is, cash it,... if there isn't,.... charge her the fee. $20.00 should do it to cover your time.

7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea Runner! I agree with your way.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Don't waste your time going by the bank, just pick up the phone.

Call her bank, tell them you have a check and want to see if its good. They will ask for the numbers and name on the check. Tell them the amount and they will tell you YEA or NAY.

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What Runner said, then give serious consideration to going cash only with this customer.

10. AGLawnCare

AGLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thank you guys alot i will have to call the bank.