bad check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys it was eventually going to happen but didn't know when. I recieved my first bad check in 5 yrs of business. I do not yet know who it was because i called the bank about a strange transaction and they told me it was a returned check.

So I say everyone has done one time in their life for one reason or another. I will not make a big issue out of it i will just ask if they will honor it. Or I will take the check when I get it back in the mail to thier bank and see if it will clear. I would rather do that then make a scene.

What have you guys done in the past?

Tim
    :(

2. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

I got one too that came in yesterday.

3. Blades of Steel

Tis the season !!!!!!

4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

If I get one I always talk with the customer politely the first time. I mean sh t happens and sometimes people just make mistakes.
    But I always ask for the extra money to pay the bank fee and usually it was a mistake and its taken care of immediately.
    But when its a butt head. And they give me grief about it. I only had one like this and after I threatened to post it in the local paper and take her to court she paid up. I put her on a pay per service and in cash for awhile. But this got old and had to get rid of her and her mouth. lol

5. Blades of Steel

I haven't got the check back and I didn't see a bank fee for the difference. I'll check with the bank to see if there is a fee for them giving me a bogus check...

6. Blades of Steel

Just spoke to my bank, they did charge me 5.00 for the bounced check. Now do I charge the customer more than the 5.00 for my inconvenience ? I am going to have some running time involved in this or do I cut my losses and only charge them 5.00 ?

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the customer. If they have a yard that takes 45 minutes to cut, you charge $55 and are on your route and you have had them for 3 years with no other problems then I wouldn't even charge them the $5.

If they are a PITA or not very profitable then this is the time to make a few extra bucks. But if this was under $250 I wouldn't even start up the truck. I would just have him/her mail another check and deposit it later. Seems like way too many posts about guys chasing money around. I can make $120 before I can hunt down a customer about $50 and then go to the bank 2 times.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had a payer that gave me bad check. The bank charged me $5. Usually the phone number of the bank is located on the check...if not....just get it and write it down. At the beginning of the week, call the bank, tell them you have a clients check and want to see if it will clear. When they say yes....boogie down to the bank and deposit it. It's a hassle, but eventually you will get paid. I had to do this with my cousin every time she paid. I would avoid the charge by calling the bank first. Usually after 3 weeks, the check would clear....then a week later she would pay me again. This went on for the entire summer. I love my cousin and she was always one of my favorites, this was the only reason I allowed this. At the end of the season I told her I loved her, but I was dropping her....haha....she understood.

9. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I charge a $25 returned check fee unless they are a long time customer with a good credit history or they call me before I know about it and pay for it promptly.

10. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I have only recieved three bad checks in four years. Ine guy called me as soon as he found out about it and met me at the jobsite to make it right. It was only for $30. Another guy has bounced two checks on me in three years. The first time he paid me in cash, the second time which was about three weeks ago for $200, I just waited a couple days after receiving it back from my bank and took it to his bank and cashed it. Three days later I was at his house mowing and he didn't even come out to offer an excuse. Glad he didn't though because there is no acceptabe excuse for it. From here on out if he pays by check I will simply cash it at his bank. I suppose I should only accept cash, but the guy isn't a lowlife and I know he would always make good on it.