bad checks, what do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LHLawns, Aug 5, 2004.

1. LHLawns

LHLawns LawnSite Member

Just curious as to what ya'll do when you receive a bad check? I can think of many ways to retaliate, but what are the best ways to get the money?
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Call the police.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get a 5 gal can of kerosene, douse it around their house and stand on the front porch with a matchbook and demand payment..... or you could be civil about it, but hell, wheres the fun in that?

Perhaps it was an accident? those do happen from time to time, be civil and call them up and ask for an explanation. I know i've written a (very large) check from the wrong account by accident one day. just a simple muckup, but enough to make people very nervous.
  4. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

We've only had two or three all from the same account. They're one of our biggest accounts and they've made them good with no problem. We know it's not a problem of cash flow for them; we think it's just sloppy accounting. But as long as they make them good it's no big deal.
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

" Hello, sherriff??, I've got a theft by check I'd like to report..."

Especially if they've done it before.. Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice or three times shame on me
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Better a bad check than no check at all. Its against the law to write a bad check , they can be arrested , you cant have them arrested for not paying.
  7. FLS

FLS LawnSite Member

Call the customer and inform them of what happened first,charge them a returned check fee.If they make it good fine,if not take legal action.Retaliation might get you into trouble,although it will give some sense of satisfaction.
  8. CapnDean

CapnDean LawnSite Member

Most local District Attorney offices have a bad check unit. They will handle it for you after you make reasonable attempt to collect on it.

Just do the right thing: "I am sure it was on oversight on your part..." you know be nice about it. Most folks would prolly be embarrassed more than anything else.
    If they don't make it right ... Turn it over to the DA.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you think they are a loser just keep going to their bank until you can cash it. If you think it was a mistake, call them.
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have had this happen to my business several times. As a result, in Texas, I have become quite familiar with the collections process.
    Call the customer, inform them of the problem, wait no more than three days to collect and be sure to add nsf charges.
    No collection after three days, send one copy of demand for payment regular mail, send second copy return receipt requested certified mail - with a ten day payment demand for cash, sertified cahiers check or money order.
    after ten days and no payment, county hot check department.
    In Texas, over $1,500.00 is a felony. The closer one gets to this amount, the more assiduous the county becomes about collecting as the county tacks on a percentage for their efforts.
    I have on ALL of my invoices, even to established customers, provisions for additional charges for late payment/nsf's and all necessary legal fees paid for by the customer.
    The **** stain I'm running down now is finding out all about this.