Bad Checks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rhowerton, Dec 17, 2003.

1. rhowerton

rhowerton LawnSite Member

How many non-sufficient fund checks do you get each year and how do you go about collecting them? How many do you just right off as an expense because its not worth the 2-3 hours to try to track down $25.
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have gotten one bad check in about 3 years and the customer called me to let me know in advance that it would come back. If you get one, just call the person and ask them whats the deal with this. Most of the time its just an honest mistake, but you do get a few who intensionally write bad checks.
  3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got my first, and hopefully last bad ck from a customer. Actually, it bounced twice and I was charged $5.00 for each time. My customer promptly took care of it including paying for the two penalties I incurred. They are a good long time customer so I didn't make a major deal out of it. I think they were embarrassed enough.
  4. M Raggs Yard Service

M Raggs Yard Service LawnSite Member

Very interesting to see this thread today of all days I just received (this afternoon) my first nsf check from a customer of two years. Hopefully it just an honest mistake. Not to bad for 5 yrs. of business!
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

If after all attempts, such as deliquent funds notices, have failed I go to the police station where the secretary types a nice letter stating that this is a criminal offence and usually within say 2 weeks the money orders start rolling in. Works with account closed checks also. Good luck.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Oh by the way I add a 35.00 charge for these checks. Then I make sure that they pay up frount unless I am thourghly convinced that it was a one time mistake.