Bad coil at 220 hours? Really kawasaki?!?!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2stroked, Oct 28, 2012.

1. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

I was out mowing today up some leaves today on my scag when it started sputtering and acting like it was running at half throttle. So i pulled one of the sparkplug boots of the sparkplug when the blower was running and the engine stalled. I did the same on the other side and the engine kept running. So now i need to order a coil for my engine, and all i can think is wow. The motor has 220 hours on it and coil is already needs to be replaced. I thought Kawasaki engines were supposed to be Superior to briggs and kohler engines? Apparently not.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Kawi didn't make the coil. The same thing could happen on any brand of engine. Just get the new one and keep on keepin' on.

3. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I had one go out at around 75 hrs.

4. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

The thing is that you would think that they would realize that the coils in their engines are crap and change their supplier. I'm sure that theirs more than one maker for engine coils.

5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I had several go on a 29 DFI Kawi when I had a 797 Deere

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

They could but they don't....Kaw has some kind of problem. Had two go last year on one machine:dizzy:

7. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Its not what you think. If the air gap is to small or to big that will make the coil bad
    That is one of the first thing that i check when i get a mower. That and the valves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

I replace them pretty often on the Big Block Kawasakis pretty often. Almost all of them under warranty

9. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

its common, i have 2 28 60 exmarks both with kaw, do both coils save on the labor bill if the other one goes

10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, probably 50% of the 31 and 37 hp Kawi vertical shafts we have sold have had a coil go with less than 300 hours.