1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad coil at 220 hours? Really kawasaki?!?!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2stroked, Oct 28, 2012.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Ive never had a coil problem on my diesel's :drinkup:
  2. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Ridin', I think retail on the coil I replaced was around 50 bucks and it's an easy installation.
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Thanks Stan. I'd rather do it myself than have it tied up at a dealers for a week or two while they take their freakin' sweet time gettin' to it. That is, if I have one go out on me.
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

One would cut out on one cylinder. The other wouldn't re-start when the machine was hot.

I did them myself, and I am no mechanic. I found it tricky the first time.
  5. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

We saw alot of coils over the past 2 years...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

In 25 yrs ive tried them all....kohler seems to be the most cost effective engines for us to run. they have been good to us over the years...kawis (when we had them) seemed to always need more attention than the kohlers and were less reliable....
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Kawasaki is well known for having coil issues. When I was an authorized Kawi. service center, I kept a big supply of Kawi coils in my parts room. Hardly a week went by in the busy season, that we did not do a coil replacement on a Kawi. engine.
    I really don't know why Kawasaki has not found a solution to this problem of frequent coil failures. It has been a problem for at least the last 15 years.