1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad Customer Warning signs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Feb 18, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Is there something you see or notice on an estimate that makes you think twice? Like last year, this couple pull up and tell me they live a few blocks away and that they see i do great work. It took about 3 weeks for us to finally meet for an estimate (i wanted her there, so no ????). her grass was about 3 feet tall, no exaggeration! She complained about the previous guy alot. I'm thinking to myself, why did this lady wait so long waiting for and not get someone else? Now I know, she burns each guy she gets every year, I just wasn't told by the other LCO in the hood. What other signs are there the grass being out of control(in a nice neighborhood).
  2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

#1 sign, they put price ahead of quality, especially if they try and talk you down.
  3. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Someone that won't sign a contract.
    Like you said before, when the customer complains about the last LCO they hired, or the guy who painted the deck ect.. Don't ever think you are special and they won't think up ways to complain about you either.
    Someone that is only concerned about low price, and not much about quality of work.
    Someone who appears topheavy in their spending habits. Ie. Huge house, 2 brand new fancy cars in the garage, but they use a picnic bench as a dining room table and hardly any furniture in the rest of the house. I've seen this many times where people try to look like millionaires on the outside, but in reality they are in debt up to their a$$.
    Sometimes its hard to smell trouble on the horizon, but many times my gut instinct has saved my butt. But on the other hand I've done work for people I was extremely leery of and they have ended up to be great customers. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think many times you can avoid trouble, but there are times when you think you have gotten yourself in trouble and end up delightfully surprised and other times you will get stiffed from someone you would never have thought of. Thats part of the joy of business ownership.
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

What turfsolutions said....
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Add no pay, slow pay to that list.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

anybody that pulls up to the curb and wont get out to talk with me can kiss my *** when i get there and see super tall grass is a second strike and if they even mention price before i get to it can find someone else
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to find out why the other LCO wasn't acceptable. If it was not showing up, they may not have been paying their bills. If they've been through 6 guys in 6 years, then this is also a sign.
  8. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

If they drive a Kia then I always quote high. But somethimes this bites me in the a$$ and I get stuck with them anyway when they accept it.
    I used to work as a service advisor at a Ford and Kia dealership. Three words- KIA OWNERS SUCK!
  9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I better not get that 1.5 ton payload Kia truck I was lookin at then LOL! Just jokin with ya :)
  10. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Experience...after being in business for a number of years, you'll notice a pattern for these dead-beats...I usually charge high and make them pay up front before I do anything...new clients I make them pay up front as well, seems to weed-out the dead-beats...