bad cut?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kdlklm, Jun 17, 2004.

1. kdlklm

kdlklm LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I have a Grasshopper 1822 lawn tractor with a 54 inch deck with Power Vac. It takes 3 blades. It seems that when cutting, it is leaving a strip uncut, not all the time, just when the grass is thick. It just started doing it. I know all 3 blades are turning and blades sharp. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

it seems cut quality is a real issue with all brands!! I am blaming the grass and just double cutting or slowing down to accomidate its stubborness

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Have you tried raiseing the front 1 notch from the rear?

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

The clue here is "thick" grass.

You are processing a whole lot of grass inside the deck. With such great volumn the grass is being passed from blade compartment to compartment, and then to discharge. So you are losing some vacuum at the point where the blades overlap and that is causing the unmowed strip.

Just slow down and your problem will dissappear.

5. AZT

AZT LawnSite Member
    from sw mo.

If you have a 1800 series it was built pre 1987 so you want about 3/8" pitch front to back. The front of the deck lower then the back so your deck does not double cut. Your deck has two belts on it turning the blades. As old has your machine is sometimes the idlers bind and the belts do not hold the right amount of tension.
    And the belts and pulleys may be slipping and need replaced. Make sure you don't use after market belts they are not designed to run backwards around a flat idler and will not last.
    Also check your rpm on engine it is very important. The engine should be running at 3600 rpm.