Bad Day-Flat Tire

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by deere615, Apr 17, 2008.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I went to Trim some small hedges in a back alley. I went to park in the grass on the opposite side of the alley, and suddenly as I was turning in I hear air start bursting out of my front driver side tire. I hit this fence post and it tore 2 big gashes in the back sidewall:cry: I had gotten a spare tire from my uncle(Because when I bought my truck it didn't have a spare tire:hammerhead:), but I didn't know till today that the rim was a little different:hammerhead:, so on my way home it was grinding really bad, luckily I was only about a half mile from my house, I had to go real slow. Luckily that didn't do any real damage. So I had to go buy 2 new front tires and put them on tonight. Sorry just venting
    Heres the cause to my problems:
    evil fence post.jpg

evil fence post.jpg
  2. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

what is it, wood fence post?
  3. deere615

No it was a metal galvanized one, if you look close the brown on the inside is rust. It is like someone bent the post and ripped it off, it was very sharp. Actually when I was putting the jack under the truck I ripped my hand open:cry:
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I cut one of my brand new GoodYear Wrangler Pro-Grades yesterday. These tires are only two months old. I tried plugging it but it lost 15 psi overnight so I knew it wouldn't last over time. BUT, I purchased the warranty from Discount Tire when I bought this set. I stopped by there this afternoon and in 20 minutes was back on the road with a free brand new tire.:walking:
  5. deere615

Cool, I usually have good luck with the plugs, and I was praying it was just a hole I could fix but it wasn't
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Those road hazzard warranties are AWSOME!!
  7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

about six or seven years ago, I was at an auction barn buying 16 ft trailers. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I had to manuver around some park cars. I felt the truck jump up over something and then heard the air rushing out. Looked down and I had run over this metal stob that was a stop for the gate on the chain link fence around the lot. I just floored it and took off. I knew there was a tire shop about a 1/4 mile down the street. Gotta love those big oversized tires. Takes forever for them to go flat and they'll run on little to no air. Think at the time I had 285 75 r16's. Had it patched and it was fine for years to come.
  8. deere615

lol, mine are 245 75r16's and a the air emptied out of the tire in about 5 seconds!
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Have you had a Tetanus shot ?? If not, you may want to for a metal cut like that !!
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

If it makes you feel any better, I had a guy back up and hit the plow arm, which punctured the sidewall on the small dump truck, which costs $165. lol.

oh well, everyone gets 1 f-up per year, and he already used his within the first week. Not to mention, I was glad it at least happened at our shop. haha, im glad I can laugh about it now.

P.S. I've had a tire patch in the opposite tire for 2 years now and now problem. (265/75/16 on f350 dulley dump)