1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad day formy FORD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Turfdude, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a really bad day. First, only got 1" of snow, so we only had 1/3 of our accounts to do. My one plow died (nbd) wire to solenoid was corroded -easy fix;) . However, trans not only started to slip, but then locked up. Had no reverse. Could only push truck backwards w/ truck in neutral & transfer case in neutral. Drive not too good either. '94 F350 4X4 dually dump tow, trans & torque converter (will add inline filter from trans cooler & upgrade some trans parts from aluminum to stainless steel and/or cast iron depending on application) cost approx $2000 - $2200:( . This baby only has 54K mi and previous (original) owner had trans replaced at 20K under warranty 5 years ago just before I bought it. I change fluid & filter every year (at approx 7000 miles). Somedays you just can't win!

Thanks for letting me vent!

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Bob, you don't say, but I'll assume your truck is a diesel. All that torque is hard on automatics, no matter the manufacturer. Spend the money now, and get a bullet proof transmission, it'll save you in the long run. Not sure 'bout Fords, but aftermarket, built up Dodge autos run anywhere from $2000 - $3600+.
    Good luck with the repair.

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Jasper makes a hell of a good bullet proof trans.
  4. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

Ditto on the Jaspers. The fd I'm on has switched to Jaspers in the medic units that we have and have had no problems. Before they switched, they were going through Ford tranys left and right, after the switch, not a single one has been replaced.
    The medic's are f-350 psd's
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the 460 gas hog in both of my dumps. We only put about 7000 miles on each per year. I will get $ on a Jasper & make my decision once we find out what exactly went wrong. The other truck is a manual trans. Hopefully can make it through one more season w/the existing clutch.