1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad day last week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Nov 14, 2003.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Phone rings 7:30am, one of my two guys "I cant make it in today, dont feel well". I say OK and thanks for the call. Then bam, phone rings again. Other guy "I cant make it in today, dont feel well". Im thinkin strange coincidence. So I head out by myself to mow. First place I get to, I start mowing and I get to the back yard under the trees when I feel this stinging going on my shoulder. I am on a 52 hydro W/B with stand on. When I look down at my shoulder, I see at least 50 bees (not exagerating) covering my shoulder. All I could think of was to get away from their nest. I was amazed that they were not really stinging that much (about 4 or 5 times) considering how many was on me. Beleive it or not I didnt panic too much and didnt even let go of handle grips untill I got 60 or 70 ft away, then I let go and started brushing them off and freaking out. Luckily I survived.
    Theeeeen I was driving my rig down the road comming up to a red light when this old lady in a mini van was sitting in right turn lane. Since I was heading straight, I pulled up in the straight lane to the left of her. As light turns green, I start going. All of a sudden she is next to me not paying attention and comming over in my lane. Having no where to go except oncomming traffic, I honked my horn. She stops miliseconds before making conact and the water cooler on back of my trailor scuffed her front quarter panel. We stop and she start acting crazy telling me I hit her and dont know how to drive and such. By then those bee stings started feeling little bad and I started saying my peice when this guy behind us came up and sided with me as he saw the whole thing. Defeated, She mumbled something about the scuff mark on her van and got back in and appeared to be riting my trailor plate down. I see two cop cars parked in a lot half block away and pull in to request a report (cover my butt). They arrogantly tell me that since its minor (under $400) damage, they wont do anything. I tell them I dont want this comming back on me, she could falsly report hit & run or claim my fualt. They were like "not likely". I took their car numbers and went on my way. In all, I got only about 1/8th the work I should have done and went home feeling whipped. Oh well, lawncare. Got to love it!:cry:
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Yeah, that was a bad day allright.

My wife likes to come out with me when she can to get some exercise. Last spring she discovered a nest of yellowjackets, hornets or wasps and got stung several times. She ballooned up like the blueberry girl on Willy Wonka. So it's off to the ER for a fun day in hell. I found the nest again about two weeks later. I got stung several times too, but I did not have the same allergic reaction, but it still sucked nonetheless.

I hope your workers did not have the "cocktail flu" and really were ill. Otherwise, I bet they have some 'splaining to do. LOL
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

Thanks for the cheer up Southpaw. Its somehow comforting to see Im not the only one with those kind of days. Hope/glad your wife is ok. Does she still go with you to mow? My wife would be done...
    Found out the one guy did have cocktail flu (Just turned 21). Big surprise (sarcastic):rolleyes:
  4. Southpaw

Southpaw LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hey pj,

Yeah, the wife is quite the tomboy sometimes. She was the accountant for an LCO for years and used to go out with the crew sometimes. She is quite skilled with the trimmer and the edger. I won't even mention the time we both discovered the poison ivy patches. She was riddled with scars and I had little if any reaction. I consider myself very lucky to have no allergies that she has had to deal with (knock on wood). LOL
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Momma said there'd be days like that, shake it off,relax and start again tommorow. Life is too good to let the bs get in the way.
  6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

as my mom always said "this to shall pass"...
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

As my momma would tell me get your whiney little azz back out there and finish your work for your daddy gets home and you know what real pain is! LOL

Tomorrow another day and can only get better.

8. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Bad day this week!!!! The as most of you know the wind was real bad for a day. Thursday was my day of h3ll. First I get on the highway and the cross wind is murder. Going along at 65 and up pops a gas can off the trailor. Had a little gas in it so never thought anything of it. Bounces off the tailgate and slides across 3 lanes of heavy cars. Last car hits it with drives side bumper and it flys into medien. I tried to watch for that guy so we could pull over but he never ever slowed down. I couldn't keep up with him. So I went on working, what ya gonna do? Needless to say the gas cans will be strapped from here on out. Stop for lunch - parked truck, ate, gretting back in truck wind whips door outta my hand and smacks car next to me. HOLLY CRAP batman. Luckily (and I don't know how) it didn't make a single mark on either vehicle. Guy was real nice and I apologized and offered to buy him lunch. Later that day motor almost falls off one of the walkbehinds. Get looking and 3 of the four mounting bolts have broke off in the motor. Now I get to take motor off and drill them out - JOY!!!
    Anybody else been having bad luck?
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

pjs, could have been worse. When you pull up to your first job of the day your "ill" employees are cutting the lawn with their mowers and the customer says he found someone cheaper..
  10. pjslawncare/landscap

Man that would suck:eek: