Bad day today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, Apr 21, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

My dixie threw a rod today. I'm still coming out of my dissappointment.

Its a kohler command 22 horse.

Anyone with experience in this? Can I simply replace the rod? One of the oil lines broke when I was mowing and the engine ran out of or low on oil. I noticed before the rod broke and shut it off, replaced the line, refilled the oil, and it lasted about five minutes after restart. NO compression on one side.

Matt:cry: :confused: :mad: :( :( :( :( :( :(

2. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Are you sure the connecting rod broke? (about the only way to know for sure is a tear doun or a bore scope) If so the cylinder wall is probably scarred which will require a re-bore. Also if the engine ran dry even for a few minutes more than likely the main bearings are gone probably the cam bearings with possible crank and cam scouring. If you are not skilled in engine rebuild, this could be a handfull to fix correctly. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a dry engine is usually fatal to the internal components. Kohlers are easy to work on though. I broke a cam on one of mine and had a new one in in less than 4 hours after I got the part. You might want to tear into it and see what the bearings look like. If the bearings and cylinder wall is not scraped from the broken rod then a new connecting rod is the way to go.

3. matthew horner

I've been told that the crankshaft does not have bearings between it and the connecting rod. Is this true. I'll be tearing apart the engine tomorrow.

4. matthew horner

One of the cylinders does not move with the starter.

I'm sure it leaked oil, but don't know how much.

5. matthew horner

Is it true that I can get a new engine for this from kohler for less than 1500, with a 2 year warranty.

6. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

There would have to have been some sort of hardened sleive that is oil pressure lubed between the con rod and the crank. But there is no roller or ball bearings like in a 2 cycle motor. If one of the cylinders does not move with the starter............it's a con rod for sure. Man I can't say how bad I hate it for you. Really sux when your working your but off and something like this happens.

Let me know what the tear down looks like. Take a close look at the oil in the bottom of the engine.......look for metal shavings. One ray of hope, if it ran out of oil before the con bearing seized it may not have pushed shavings into the other parts and hopefully the filter did it's job. Check for smothness (This does not guarentee a sound crank) at the bearing surface. If you can feel roughness you may have a real problem.

I'm not an engine guy. I'm just a poor scaper who couldn't afford a shop bill.

Allen

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Just bend over and get ready to take one.

8. matthew horner

i drained the oil before starting it again, NO SHAVINGS. five minutes later, no more connecting rod.

Also, after the rod broke, and engine shut down, oil started leaking from somewhere else. So I think the rod may have torn a hole. I'll break it down tomorrow, but i'll have to start mowing with the walk behind back up in the afternoon, and friday, and sat.etc etc.

:(

9. matthew horner

Where, besides my local kohler dealer, would be a good place to get a new engine? I found a site with a new cv22 for 1300, free ship, kohler 2 year warranty.

10. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

On most small engines the bearing is part of the connecting rod. Sounds like you threw a rod and the block is probably toast. Price you gave sounds like a short block. this place Link may be able to get you a good price on a complete engine...Chuck