1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad Day...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ulclawncare, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ulclawncare

ulclawncare LawnSite Member

When I stared a job for a client the other day I was roughly half way done trimming when my weed wacker's shaft just fell off so I just when to get my mower to mow the grass then I would go get a new weed wacker. Well when I was mowing grass to my luck I got done with the front yard and ran out of gas in the mower and spare tank. So i stopped at Lowe's since it was next to a gas station and they sell weed wackers. I picked up a new weed wacker went back to the job started trimming again, I forgot to bump so I had to pull the string back though( no big deal). Well I went to take it off and wouldn't't come off so I took the entire head off and replaced with the head that i normally use ( a weed warriors hassle free head). and then i fished up the job.....I think that was the slowest job ever
  2. BigChaz

BigChaz LawnSite Member

Man just so your aware, i bought the troybilt straight shaft a while back and . .

. . . it was THE WORST piece of crap i have ever used. Starting it was a 10 minute hassle till it warmed up, and if you turned the dang thing on any kind of an angle it died
  3. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

thus the reason to buy from a dealer and not something from lowes or sears
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I personally would take that trimmer back. Go across the street at get yourself a ECHO Srm-2100 at home depot. $199 its a commerical grade trimmer. That troybuilt will fall apart. Plus it has a really nice commerical grade easy to load head on it.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Take the time to prepare yourself. Upgrade your eqipment when its time to replace it. The echo would be a much better purchase than anything at lowes. As stated above buying from a servicing dealer is priceless should a problem arise later.

The night before I always make sure I got plenty of fuel (dont even really need to carry any 4 mix doe to 10 gal tanks on mower) mix 2 stroke fuel. Wind trimmer heads, Make sure all blades are set to go. Taking a few min when your not under a time constraint is alot easier than having to leave a job because you were not prepared. The more time you save being prepared the more time you will have for another lawn!
  6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

What's the saying?

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail...

Be prepared and like Billy said upgrade when you can. Quality equipment will make a world of difference.