Bad Day

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dogchapman, Sep 12, 2006.

1. dogchapman

dogchapman LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I had a terrible day yesterday. I had stopped in front of a house in an intersection because I was on the phone and needed to write something down. I went to my house to get some water two miles down the road. Came back to the area to start another yard and was just starting to edge when this man and his buddy come up and tell me that got me on video backing over his mail box. I said ok well let me get you my card and you go watch the video and call me. He went crazy and I had to call the police. The cops show up and do a report and this PITA calls me up later that night and says he is sorry for the way he acted but was I going to pay for his mail box and I said no I didnt do it. After going back and forth I asked about the video and he said it didnt show any thing. He goes on to ask what I thought he should do, I told him to find the person who did it. Then he says he is going to sue me. I said that will be fine. The problem is now he has a "witness" who saw it. I feel like I am fixing to get screwed any advice would be helpful. I have called my attorney and have not talked with him yet.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well one thing is, why would you call the cops on HIM if you were guilty of it? So you need to get the cop' badge # and a copy of the report. Question could you have done it without noticing with your trailer? Don't get all bent-out just asking.
    Pretty much your word against their's, it's just a minor tort not a crime. That'll teach you for not remembering to bring your water with you. I think.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

call his bluff and tell him you have a "witness" that saw everything too.
    that guy is just trying to pin this on you, don't give him any inkling that you are worried about this. stay tough.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I like Jodi's thinking on this one!

5. dogchapman

from Alabama

I have retraced my path time and time again and I would have already written a check if it was possible that I had hit it. I was never on that side of the street and I was never in reverse anywhere in that neighborhood. The subdivision makes a loop so there was no need to back up. This was a mail box on a gas light so it would have made all kinds of racket and it would have made some kind of mark on my trailer or vehicle and there was none. I had the police walk all the way around my truck and trailer.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Dang dude a mailbox and post is like $25.......$75 for a real nice one.......my lawyer is $200 an hour.......you do the math....... :dizzy:

7. dogchapman

from Alabama

Its a gas light and mail box about $300 . I would be glad to replace it if I did it

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just wait it out. He isn't going to sue you. These people watch too much Judge Judy and Joe Brown these days, but alot of them just do alot of talking.

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The guys full of crap...you know...he knows it...a judge would damn sure know it. But...I bet you anything it will never even get that far.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd agree that he seems to be just running his trap. He's already backpedaled it seems.

Do nothing. Wait for him to make the first move, and I bet it will never happen.