Bad Day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMFL79, Oct 22, 2006.

1. BMFL79

BMFL79 LawnSite Member

Lesson learned, beware of septic systems.

I was mowing along just fine like usual when all of a sudden the mower sinks down and gets stuck. The ground was incredibly soft from the septic system. The crazy thing about it was that the last pass before turning around was firm, and two feet behind where I sunk it was firm. It was like I ran the mower off a cliff.

I tried to pry it up and stick some boards under the wheels to back it up but the front casters kept sinking in as I pried up on the back. Plus the tires were so wet and clogged with mud that they were slipping off the boards. I finally had to tow it out with the truck.

The worst part was that as I tried to dug it out to get the boards under it, the nice black water was seeping up into the hole. Smelled wonderful.

On a side note, my wife called as I was digging to tell me that she was in a car accident. She said everyone was ok, but our car was undrivable. Someone crossed 4 lanes in front of her and she t-boned them.

Great day all around.

Here's a picture of my mower in the poop.

In the mud.jpg

2. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

yea uh.....dude your client needs to call the septic company ASAP

for one I can only imagine in Ohio that is probably 1,000,000 worth of fines

but their leach field is not working properly....and their tank must be WAY full as well....I am surprised their drains work at all;) ;) ;) :dizzy:

and glad your family is safe as well :) :) :)

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW !! That is bad ....What was the customers reaction ??

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

mowed a lawn for a guy that just moved into a house and it turns out he had an underground spring that ran to a stram in his neighbors yard didnt get stuck just gunned it and made some huge ruts in his back yard

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

That sux, did you charge the customer for the damage to the mower? That scag will need a real good cleaning before you use it again!:dizzy:

6. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

Glad you were able to get it out. There are so many tight places we take out mowers that we would NEVER be able to get them out if something happened.

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my Scag stuck a few times because usually all of the sudden it just sinks. But luckily I usually just pull it out with my other Scag. That looks like a stinky mess and I think its time to call the septic tank man!

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have been there. I have had to pull my Z out with the truck 3 times so far this year. Trust me it could have been worse. I dropped my Z down the first half of a retaining wall (approx 4 feet)... I thank god that it was a shitty homeowner wall where they kind of stacked rocks up and wasn't a straight drop down and I also thank god that I stopped after that because if I went another 3 feet I would have gone over the second part of the wall which was a 7 foot drop.

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, talk about having a sh**y day...

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

did she get a bath afterwards