Bad Day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kerrigan, May 28, 2003.

1. kerrigan

kerrigan LawnSite Member

Well I signed on a small city outside of my town here. Just a small park, cemetary and misc. parcels through out town. Been cutting it for 5 weeks now and everyone on the city council was happy with our work, when all of the sudden i am told they didn't need our services any more. I didn't know how to respond to this, I changed schedules for them and bent over backwards for these people and they just drop me. Man it was great money for 12 hrs of work. All I could say was I am not a politician and i do not know what to say to make you change your mind.

Just a bummer end to a great cutting day just had to talk to some one:confused:
  2. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the business
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I imagine there was a contract for that type of work? What happened with that?

Did they give you a reason?
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

someone who works in one of the offices most likely has a kid with a mower. I lost one of my commercial accounts to a the president of the buildings 16 year old son who did the job with a 21" push mower and _no_ trimmer. Talk about a slap in the face.
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

No contract?? :(
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

See it's stuff like this that keeps me doing just residential work. Whenever I've done work for a "group" of people - whether it be a HOA, Company, government, etc. - it seems like there's always SOMEONE who isn't happy and decides they need to get someone else to do it. I've had nothing but headaches with stuff like that. With residential work, you have 1-2 people at most to please. With stuff like that, you often have dozens or even hundreds of people (in the case of a HOA) to please. And that just doesn't work.

I got a call from a HOA the other day nearby in a really nice neighborhood where we do a lot of homes. They called and said they'd like me to give them a bid and acted like they were offering me some kind of big favor. The person calling changed their posture quickly when I told him, "Sorry, I am not interested. We just work for residents." He was shocked.