1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad Dayyyy

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Sep 16, 2006.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yesterday was one of thoose days, I had Murphy and all the gremlins with me today, everyone else had smooth sailing Friday LMAO.

1st- I fueled the scag this am before I left home, well I get 10 miles from home and look in the mirror and notice the fuel cap is missing off the scag. Well I stop, Pops and I look everywhere and dont see it. We figure if we back track we may find it, if not, siphon the gas from the tank and duct tape over it and get a cap another day. Well we get home and no luck seeing it in the road, I happen to look between the seat cushion and seat back and there it is. I lost about 45 min there. So we are off again to mow 25 miles away.

2nd - As we get done mowing the 1st account, the john deere starts popping and backfiring, fouled plug. On the 3rd, 4th, 5th account we only use the scag and the other trims.

3rd- At the end of the 5th account Im putting the scag on the trailer and I notice something is hanging the deck. Do I get off and see what is wrong? NOPE, I back off the gate and see. GRRRRRRRRR, the nut has came off the spindle bolt, the blade has dropped down and I bent the crap out of a 5/8's bolt. So I go by the auto parts store and they laugh when I ask for a 5/8's bolt 12 inches long, but I do get 2 plugs for the JD. I carry Pops to the 6th account and drop him off to mow while I go home and rob some parts from a scag walkbehind.

4th- I put the spindle bolt in and mow, I get with in 15 min of being done and poof the blades quit turning. AH HA I have a spare belt, WRONG, the spring on the deck idler has broken, its 4:40 and the dealer is 43 miles away and closes at 5. Well he has the part, but the parts guy is about as bright as Gomer Pyle on the Andy Griffith Show. He says he cant wait 15 min for me, the owner says they are leaving on time today. I said OH Blake (the owner) is there, let me speak to him. He leaves me the part for me outside and says send him a check in the mail. I get back, put the spring on and finish mowing. I can see the 7th account from the 6th, Im about to turn in the driveway and POOF on comes the sprinkler system. We have had enough rain to float the grass and the owner is still watering ......and the wrong time of the day/night too. I called it a night , there is always another day

So I had Murphy and the Gremlins with me today, will someone else take them!!!!!

2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I hope today is better for ya Wayne !!! I have had too many of those days though !!!!
  3. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

chin up tiger its someone elses turn tomorrow:waving:
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Ugh, that stinks. I've had days like that, though not as major.

A lot of times, I forget stuff. Friday, the trimmer ran out of gas. I left the can of 50:1 at home. I was only 5 min away but I was still mad I had to drag the trailer back to my house.

I'm going to start putting a list up in my garage, a check-off type thing so I don't forget stuff on a daily basis.
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I give that list a week.. Its just 1 more thing you have to remember to do before you leave..

grass_cuttin_fool::: I feel for ya.. That was 1 f-ed day. Gas cap, I think everone has done that 1 a time or 2. But after that it sounded like a day to go home crying..
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Good luck on monday. My only question is why didn't you just got to the next house and turn off the water. I do it all the time where the main comes out of the house. I know some dont have shut offs but you could have knocked on the door. I might have left too. I might have been to pissed off to even care about one more lawn for the day.
  7. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

I've had crappy days like that, and I've learned that they only get worse if you force your way through it. It is a sign from the heavens to take the day off.
  8. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i feel for you. most days that end in "y" are screwed up for me
  9. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Dont feel to bad.I was running my 36 bobcat and bam belt broke. So I put the spare on and Bam the pulley flys off and nails me in the leg. Left a nice cut in my leg so i patch myself up and look to see the the bearings had just let go because one of my guys had hit some rebar and didnt tell me. So I get my dixon (Now keep in mind that I had replaced all the bearings) I got on fired her up and by lawn 7 the main pulley flys apart and takes out 4 lawn nomes and almost my customers cat.After that I just loaded it back on the trailer and went home tired pi**ed and bloody.