Bad Dealer!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kgcs, Jun 4, 2011.

1. kgcs

kgcs LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently a Hustler user and I love their mowers. The problem is my local dealer. When I bought the mower the lady told me that we treat are customers like family. Well I am glad to say I am not her son. When ever I need service they always see me faster than the other customers (there wait is 2-4 weeks if not longer), but that is still 1-2 days. That is 1-2 days that I loose money on. When I go in they will stop what there doing to look at it but not fix it. I understand if they can't fix it right away but it has to be sooner than a day or two. Am I right to be mad about this or is this the way all dealers are??

Also another topic but there is another dealer in town that has a good reputation but they do not sell hustlers. They only sell exmark and stihl. How are they in comparison to hustler and echo?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

1-2 day turn around is pretty good, and the reason that I have a backup mower. As far as an Exmark compared to a Hustler its just as good and comes down to personal preferrence and dealer support same with Echo and Stihl. Before jumping ship on your current dealer you may want to go talk to the Exmark dealer and find out what they are willing to do when you need to get a machine repaired as I think 1-2 days is hard to beat. I also only take a mower to the dealer for repair work if its under warrenty, other than that I will fix it on my own time, same with normal maintenance.

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

wow, complaining about 1-2 days? For this to be annoying you must be in there a lot! Go Hustler!

4. kgcs

Yes I understand 1-2 day turn around is good but I am looking for something better. I buy all my trimmers, blowers, edgers, and parts from them and I know I can find it cheaper else where but I prefer to give them business so when I need help they will stop what they are doing and help me. Right now I am not in a position to afford a back-up mower so when my mower is down, my business is down.

5. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My Deere dealer always has loaners available, when I needed them just to check something out, within the hour I had another mower on the trailer and back to work. Toro dealer did the same thing to me like you described, so I lost them. Good luck, 1-2 days isn't bad, but Id check to see if they will loan you a demo...

6. kgcs

One of the main reasons I am mad, is the fact that I brought a mower in there yesterday that had the clutch fall off. I told them I thought the bolt was stripped and it would need a new one. This was at 10am in the morning. So, I call back at 4 in the afternoon and asked if they had got a chance to look at it and he said it would be the first thing they do in the morning. So I go by there this morning to see if it was ready because I only believed it needed a bolt. Well when I go in there he tells me that the bolt was stripped (REALLY I told you that when I dropped it off) and it needs a new one. So I said sure go ahead and do it. He then says that is the problem, it has to be ordered and it will take a day to come in. That is why I am pissed. If he would of just spent 5 minutes on it yesterday and realized it needed a new bolt he could of ordered yesterday and it would of been in today. Now I have to wait until Monday to pick it up!

7. kgcs

BTW they have floor models that have this bolt on it. Why couldn't they just take it off one of them and put it on mine. I like what you said rcslawncare about loaners but my dealer does not do that. I will check with the other dealership in town and see if they do that with there equipment.

8. kgcs

I just googled the review for my dealer and it has one star. Here are some of the reviews. I really wished I did some research on my dealer before I bought my mower.

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with you about diagnosing a simple problem and ordering the part asap. There is no real good excuse for that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

1-2 days is good but they should have loaners or demos for commercial clients. Is your mower in there that often? If so consider buy a back up mower. Maybe a cheap walkbehind. Exmark and Stihl are two of the best in my opinion. I have no experience with hustler.
    Posted via Mobile Device