Bad designs that make you go errhhhh.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 9, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anyone think of a bad design that just makes you mad. I will start the list.

A 90-degree oil fitler drain tube was added to the 23HP Kawaski engine but the oil filter itself is screwed onto the engine at a 90-degree angle. Its real easy to drain the crankcase oil but whats the point because when I change the oil filter the oil gets all over everything. EERRHHHH

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. My engine doesen't even have a good drain so, it gets all over the place.

Just got my walkbehind edger this morning for $20- so I will c if it is a good design or not later.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

My beef is with mowers that have about 11 different sized bolts on them. Even in spots where the same bolt size would work. I even had an old toro that used US type sizes, then had the odd metric bolt on the belt tensioner, and it was located in a place that was impossible to get a socket or even closed end wrench around.

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the 23 Kawi oil filter!.... next change, I'm gonna try punching a small hole on the top of the filter before I drain the engine, that way at least some of the oil in the filter can drain out through the engine.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would have to say the location of the air filter on the Echo SRM2100. I ripped a fingernail off on one of them a few years ago... along with several scraped up knuckles.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, that's a really good idea. Be sure to post after you've tried it so the rest of us will know.

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Punching a hole in the filter works on my scag where the filter is inverted....... hole allows air in as engine is draining, so oil in filter goes too......... saves some of the mess from the filter.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have a 4 yr old Scag 52" WB with a 16 HP Kawasaki. The muffler exhaust points straight out, recoil height, which means when you are moving, the exhaust and heat blows right in your face,

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'll second that with my 2400 :mad: flipped my fingernails over a few times before I learned to slowly pull out and away until I'm free from the engine then yank!

10. KenH you can change that really inexpensively.

Red Max EB6200 wires got caught on everything, 7000 problem is gone.

Zerk fittings that are imposable to reach without a lift.

Oil drains are simple for me, that's when we clean them off so it gets cleaned up right afterwords.

Don't really have a beef with any equipment now a days, but back a few years there was a bunch of poorly designed stuff out.