1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad engineering, or Bad engineering by design?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LLM Ann Arbor, Oct 25, 2006.

1. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor LawnSite Member

I swear to god they either have some bad engineers designing this stuff or they do it by design so you cant work on equipment without dealer assistance.

Anyone else ever thought this?

I have an old style powerflo bagging unit on my mower and blew a belt out. Fine. Thats expected, right?

Whats not is it looks like you have to physically remove all the pulleys and springs and monkee business that comes with it in order to replace the belt!

There has to be something Im missing so ....it's off to the dealer. Tomorrow. My trucks in the dealer today.

/end rant
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm about sure they find these guys under a rock someplace, I have seen some really really bad (Stupid) designs and quite of few that I can quickly re-design to make the next repair much easier.
    I cuss these guys all so often.
  3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, agree with every thing u r saying . There is at least one maker i know of and i will not bore u with the details . When u design a belt system usally the sevice life is known [reference after market maker ]It can be figured out !! This particular mower after u feed in all the info to computer program lists this paticular belt application as having zero life . This is evident by the mower company having about 4x diiferent upgrades to try and rectify problem and extemely short belt life .
    Every thing is not how it seems ,caution is required.

The other maker of a major component of a mower originally started in the plumbing industry. Imo some of the product has some serious faults . People tolerate the issuses but if it were to happen in any other industry the company in question would be in a serious situation .

For some components to be considered commercial grade when other industries would clearly reject the said items is a huge marketing scam .

After approx 20 years of mechanical experience and comparing the products served up to the consumer in the mowing industry i will say this some companies are way more committed than others . By the way any body can have good cust service but it does not make up 4 an inferior product.

Buyer Beware .........
  4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

What do the engineers think? All mechanics have ultra - mini robot hands to work on this stuff..............
  5. Restrorob

Thats just it.....They don't....ALL they think about is getting Their money in Their pocket, They couldn't give a rats azz about us poor people that have to repair their stupidly designed equipment......
  6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

You havent dealt with stupid till you work on a ditch witch...
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Most design engineers only following the design guidelines, serviceability isn't alway high on list of important items. I worked as a serviceability test engineer for 35 years...it was always a fight about cost of changes to make it more serviceable. Companies do worry about warranty labor cost and that is how they gage how good/bad they are doing. Since in the lawn equipment the company tells the shop how much they will pay for each repair I don't know if they get much meaninful feedback.
  8. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor LawnSite Member

Oh and although Ive yet to see them on green equipment, dont getme started on Torx nuts and bolts.

Errrrrm. Hex nuts weren't good enough? So now I have a nice set of torx drivers and allen wrenches.

9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

all you got to do is ride a mower for 30 minutes and come up with a dozen ways to make it better. You can't ride a cad program! Heck in the early and mid 80's the car manufatures mixed metric with standard fastners. the body parts and engine brackets were metric while the engine proper was standard. what gives. he11 - to remove the blower housing on a kohler you need a phillips type bit, a hex bit and a torks bit! come on engineers - have you ever worked on your own crap? or do you make too much money and only hire it out?
  10. Restrorob

Oh, I'm sure they get plenty of feedback every time a warranty claim if filed. They base their time using brand new equipment right off the assembly line and highly trained techs with all the necessary tools all layed out and ready to grab.

Give them a year or so old unit that has been out in the field (weather) with rusted and stuck fasteners and I'd bet they couldn't even meet their alloted repair time.