Bad fuel mileage is killing me

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Gravel Rat, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I have to get rid of my 95 F-450 I'am using the truck for a daily driver driving to a job that doesn't require the truck. I'am just going to run a F-350 overloaded when I need to haul some heavier loads.

I was looking for fuel leaks today I did find the lift pump is weeping but thats not going to cause the truck to make fuel disapear that quick.

My IDI F-450 didn't guzzle fuel back that fast but this PSD drinks diesel fast the way the PSD sucks back fuel I might be going back to a IDI and live with the lower power.

I thought a 460 gas is hard on fuel you run a PSD in a 8400lb truck its just as bad or even worse.

I think I will give up the idea of deliverying sand and gravel in small loads and just stick with the junk removal and yard clean ups a 1 ton can handle that.

When your paying 3.34 dollars for a US gallon of diesel fuel this truck is draining my wallet.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Why don't you try a different gear ratio. I'd amagine your 450 has like 4:63 right, why not try a 4:10, and use low range more often when pulling the heavier loads. If you have an auto i guess you don't have that option.

You know your truck, but I can't see you gaining that much by going from an f-450 to a 350 with the same motor. what are you gonna get 1-2mpg difference?

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I can't run 4:10s in a F-450 you would have no pulling power with the 4:63s I noticed a big difference from the 5:13s my IDI had which got better fuel mileage. If I'am going back to a 350 its going to be a 4x4 but my plan is to keep the empty weight of the truck down to 7400lbs so 1000lbs lighter than what my F-450 currently weighs.

I haven't even got a dump body on the F-450 and it weighs 8400lbs it just has a 12x8 flatdeck on it. By the time I add a different dump body and hoist it will probably weigh 9000lbs.

I would be happy to get 15 mpg with a empty truck compared to the 9.5-10 mpg with a loaded truck I'am getting with the 450 and 12 mpg with a empty truck.

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

F 450 as daily driving to a job? Holly cow.
    Why don't you get a Ranger 2.3, I-4 averaging 24-29 mpg, put Amsoil PI fuel improver, and you will average like 25-30 plus miles easily per gallon.

My friend has 94 Ranger which averaging 24-25 miles city driving per gallon, and that truck has over 155k on it.
    Ranger is the perfect truck for do errands and estimate and all sort of nonesense from site to site, especially construction job, stop and go.
    I hear your wallet ripped with that F-450!!!

5. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think my 77 F350 4x4 dump with a 460 is horrible. I get 3.4 MPG. Checked it many times over the summer. fill it up...drive 68 miles...fill it up.

6. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I've been driving my 96 F250 stroker for years, and am at 200k miles. She runs all day on an empty load at 17MPG doing the speed limit, and about 14-15MPG with my lead foot down doing 120 everywhere I go (Love the chips and programmers).

It's only 3/4 ton but ya may want to think about it. I used this truck for about 6 years pulling a 20ft enclosed trailer with 2 full 1000liter water tanks on it, and a bunch of equipment in the construction business.

From the way the truck feels (still tight and trouble free) i'm guessing I have at least 200k more miles left on her.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Gravel Rat,
    You should have bought a cummins.

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

weve had them all....most loaded truck for us would get between 7-12 MPG no more than that...even the I-6 cummins we had would get 12maybe 13 on a good day loaded. Only time the cummins comes into play with better milage (18ish) would be when its a 2wd srw single cab.

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

My 96 gets around 20mpg and it has 250,000 on it. I don't get why people think the strokes are bad on fuel milage. My brother in laws 99 gets 21-23 around town unloaded.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

LOL.... right. My 4-cylinder Ford Ranger around town gets 20.5mpg.... there is no way a 7000-8000 powerstroke equipped truck is getting over 20mpg around town. It is just not possible. You guys need to start using calculators to get your fuel mileage.