Bad Gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iblonger, Jul 14, 2006.

1. iblonger

iblonger LawnSite Member

I just had my new Bobcat 36" at the shop because it was blowing oil out the exhaust and smoking like crazy. I assumed bad rings or pass valve. The shop owner told me it was caused by dirty gas clogging the carb and filling into the oil. This is apparently happening all over the place, with the price of gas going up the quality is going down even at reputable gas stations. The shop owner recommend that I begin filtering my gas. Just another thing to watch. :mad:

2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

bad gas from the pump won't cause that unless it's loaded with water or dirt. What causes that issue is dirt or debris causing the float not to close.

This can also be caused from the machine bouncing on the trailor and the float moving up and down. You should really shut the fuel shutoffs off when trailoring the unit, but no one ever does that.

But the quality of the fuel won't cause this unless the unit was sitting for a while with no stabelizer in it.

3. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually get my gas at a midwest chain. They gaurantee their gas. If you have any problems with a gas related problem- on their tank of gas, they'll pay for the problem to get fixed. Although, I never have had any problems with it and neither has anyone else I know.

I was looking at Mr. Funnel's the other day, pretty amazing product.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yah, this is a big one...some machines are more prone to it than others. It would be a good idea to turn the fuel valve off whenever the machine is not being used, but as he said no one ever does that.

Plus you should have noticed that the oil was way over filled and was thinner since it was mixed with gas. You should be checking that all the time:nono:

5. MoviePimp

MoviePimp LawnSite Member
    from IN

I was wondering what this thread was going to be about. It was about equipment having bad gas. Last week I could have wrote about my helper with bad gas. Too much chili the night before. :cry: yeah it made my eyes water.

6. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

haha was he a mexican?

7. iblonger

iblonger LawnSite Member

It was dirt in the tank that caused the float to stick open, and yes I got the scolding for both things I did wrong :nono: from the owner(not shutting off the gas and not checking the oil level). I had checked the oil two days before when I did my weekly maintenance. I know better now to the tune of $80.00.

8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Gas in the oil does wonders for the viscosity and lube power lol!

9. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but I wonder why the fuel filter didn't stop the debris? Mine has a strainer on the fuel pick-up and an in-line fuel filter that I would think would eliminate any of this.

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i dont know where you get your gas but i heard lukoils and wawas were watering their fuel i dont know just a rumor but a buddy of mine had one of his lazers in for the same thing and it was a $2000 rpair and he got his gas from these places