bad hydroseeding jobs....and fixing them..!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bryanc3po, Jul 8, 2003.

1. bryanc3po

bryanc3po LawnSite Member

I went out today to drum up some new residential business. Walked into this new sub division and talked to folks about hydroseeding their backyards. I come to find out that most of them who had their lawns, front or back, hydroseeded...were so upset at the results. One lady I talked to showed me her backyard and it was splotchy and looked horrible. She said the only good patch of lawn she had was where the machine clogged up and the operator went to fix it..when he turned the machine back on it spit out a 4 or 5 sq. ft blob at the nozzle and that was the best looking part of the lawn. This area looked like it was supposed to look...great.! I am so pissed these guys go in and screw up like this...no follow-up, or solution to the homeowners lawn. Is there a way for me to go back and patch these lawns without tearing it up? There are about 8 or 9 lawns that need help..these lawns are a year old also...i am embarrassed that these lawns were hydroseeded poorly. Maybe they didnt use enough seed but even around the edges of the lawns are not covered. Any feedback would be helpful...howto repair a bad hydroseeding job...thx Bryan

2. BillWeaver

BillWeaver LawnSite Member

Go in with a small power rake, ours is a Yazoo-Kees, work the areas up and re seed. We charge by the hour for this.

3. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

are due to the HOMEOWNER NOT WATERING enough to germinate the seed...............................
    Next to NO one will water every day for 30 days.

4. Mike Bradbury

Are you talking about a walker type implement? (non tractor/bobcat)?
    I've not seen such an item, would be very interested though.
    Thanks

5. Mike Bradbury

the dethatcher type power rake. yep, that's what I use too.

6. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Guys don't forget that these power rakes have interchangeable reels. You can pull the flail type dethatching reel off and replace it with a slicing reel.

That slicing reel is pretty handy. I can do the conversion in the field in about 15 minutes. Excellent spot prep tool.

Here is a photo of the reel:
    [​IMG]

Here is what it does when pulling the machine backwards:
    [​IMG]

7. Mike Bradbury

yeh, that's what I use too. i thought you were talking about a "mini" harley power rake.

8. BillWeaver

BillWeaver LawnSite Member

Hey!!!!!!!!!!! You stole my Power Rake!!!!!!!!

Actually we have 2 of those machines, one with the slicing blad the other with the dethatcher. Love them almost as much as our edging machine