Bad Ignition swich

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sbvfd592, Nov 16, 2002.

1. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I dkont know if this is the right place to post this. I got a used machine and the ignition key hole was big such as it looked like someone shoved a screw driver and made a hole in it. The batrey is all hooked up and stuff the swich has a 6 prong back to it. i have 2 wire leads with aligator clips on it, is there a way that i can bypass it to see if the engen whould start? thanks in advance i just dont whana sink cash into something that dosent run.:D P.S. whould be awsome if i could get it started

2. sbvfd592

Can anyone help me out is there some way to do this?

3. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

You will have to back trace the wires from the switch, (1) One wire from switch should go to + side of the battery. (2) Another wire from switch should go to the starter selenoid, will have power only in the start position. (3) Another wire from switch should go to the ignition on the motor, this wire will have power to it when the switch is in the start and run position. Or bypass switch, go to the motor and find the wire going into the ignition, this will need 12 volts to it at all times. Then you will have to find the heavy wire going to the starter. Use jumper cables, attach the ground from the bat to the frame of the unit. Then flash the wire going to the starter, when motor starts remove battery pos from starter wire. The unit should have a selenoid on it.

4. sbvfd592

so i need 2 lead and a set of jumper cables?

5. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

BE CAREFULL!!!! not all engines need 12 volts to the ignition to run. Most engines just use this wire to kill the engine and if you run 12 volts down it, IT WILL FRY THE IGNITION INSTANTLY!!! Tell us more engine info, and i am shore some one can help.. But usually pull the wire coming from the ignition, which ungrounds it, go to the solinoid there shoud be a small terminal on the side apply power here and the solinoid should click.. then the engine should turn over.. no click solinoid is proably bad. yes click but starter don't turn, bad connection or bad starter.. this ought to get you started...

Later snapper...

6. sbvfd592

What info do you need?

7. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

like brand and model of engine.. that will tell us the best way to test your system..

8. sbvfd592

11 hp briggs and strat

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

so its a 12 volt electric start briggs . did you just pick this up. what is it a mower .
    we need more info then what your giving us :confused:

10. sbvfd592

11 ph briggs on a jhon deere tractor used idk the houres its older and has a snow blower im restoring it for a winter project