1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad Ignition switch

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DennisF, Jan 10, 2005.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I love my Hustler Z 23/52, but I have one complaint. The ignition switch wears out in about 3 months of use. I've got 700 hours on the mower and have had to have the switch replaced 3 times. The switch begins to stick in the start position after a while and eventually fails to start the engine. I was wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem or is it just me.

Other than the switch, the mower has performed flawlessly.
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I'm on my 3rd one also, but I think I found the problem. My helper had his key on a big key ring with many keys.I think the extra weight of all the keys hanging there bouncing around wore it out early. We switched to leaving a single key in the ignition all the time and have not had any more problems for some time now.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The switch is pretty much a off the shelf item, as in we are not the only mfg to use it.
    One of the things I have found that wears them out quicker is water, keep the mower covered when not in use, or at least when it is raining.
    Not 100% sure that is your problem, but it could be.
    Has your dealer been taking care of this for you? if so what has he told you?
    Let me know.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The dealer has changed the switch each time. I talked with the mechanic and he thought that the switch design could use an upgrade. If it's water causing the problems maybe a small rubber boot of some kind attached to the top of the switch might help keep out some of the moisture.

But now that I think of it, the ignition switch gets a lot of use. During the mowing season I start my mower 15-20 times a day. That's a lot of use over the course of a mowing season.