1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad neighborhood

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RollTide11, Apr 20, 2008.

1. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

How do you handle jobs in bad neighborhood? Do you just give them a crazy price, not come back, or just do the job?
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Lock everything down. Have one guy stay with the Equipment and charge more .If its really bad do you really need the 1 or 2 clients ?
  3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Good price. Make it worth your while.
  4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Give us a better definition of "bad Neighborhood". You mean high crime, substandard homes, trashy yards? Are you solo or working with a helper? All these things come into to play for a good answer.
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

If its not a big job, I'd leave it.
  6. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

There is one part of town here that is not the best that I mow in. I mean you won't get shot, but you may have something stolen or vandalized. But I can watch my truck the whole time, so it's all right. If it's really bad, I wouldn't want to do it. But that may be just me. But than again, I probably wouldn't turn down a job right now.
  7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Handgun carry permit, Kahr PM-40 in my front pocket at all times. I have some yards in not so great area's, but I enjoy those clients, their some of my most loyal customers, and the most appreciative. It's like anything in life with great risks come great rewards:dancing:
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

At least they let you carry in TN... No such luck here yet.
  9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

bid high so i can get it. No seriously always lock your equipment up and become friends with a couple of neighbors who will help you keep an eye on your equipment if you are concerened about it. Besides if you can make friends in the neighborhood then most will stay away form your stuff. Oh make sure you do not ack like you are better or give an er of arrogance or you will for sure lose your equipment. I have said it before the only area I have ever had equipment stolen in was high end neighborhoods. I have worked the "ban areas" and sometimes prefer them. You would be surprised how much respect you can earn if you are a hardworking guy in a bad area.
  10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

When the cold war was over, their was a group of CIA agents & Russian KGB agents that were drinking & talking about the "Cold War" rumor has one CIA agent asked if their would have been a World War III, and would have Russia invaded the US, his response Americans own to many Guns:clapping:. I try to purchase a least one gun every 3 or 4 years now, I got carried away with gun buying in 06-07:usflag: Know really it's you constitutional right to bear arms if your a american citizen in good standings. I just could not live in a Anti-gun state,no disrespect guess.I have been fortunate I did not have to make that choice employment or something