1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bad New's For Ash Tree's

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by agrostis, Jun 7, 2012.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Already some dieing ash trees around here and also most commercial properties have already cut their ash trees out so they can replace them with something else.

3. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

Ours have been gone for 5 years now.

Reading that story made me laugh!!!! They're researching what they can do now?? They knew they were coming. Preventive treatments work somewhat, after that start cutting em down. Its very rare to see an ash tree that survived around here, though I do have two clients, in the same neighborhood in Bloomfield (where the EAB was first discovered) that have trees that survived.

One bonus, it makes great firewood. BUT DON'T TRANSPORT IT, you'll speed the spreading of the larve that are living in the cambium layer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. agrostis

I'll bet that is old new's if you live up north, for people in my part of the country though, losing ash tree's is going to be a new thing. That part about studying option's is just noise, if the EAB get's going, ash tree's are history. It's a good thing that ash are more of a background tree around here.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

It's too bad, but there is no way of stopping the spread, no matter what is tried. I've seen evidence of it from Nebraska all the way to the Northeast.

Transporting firewood spreads it faster, but all that is happening is delaying the inevitable.

7. agrostis

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Not sure if that is the case but you need to start before much damage is done. Clearly, this is for high value trees the client is committed to saving and as such they should start treatments now that the bugs are in the area.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Doses of Merit in the spring are the recommendation around here.

My worry is that when all the ash trees are gone, with the EAB evolve and find another host tree.

10. fire126

fire126 LawnSite Member

We have been injecting Trees with Tre-age using Arborjet system. The insecticide is exspensive, but only treating some trees. About 275. Tre-age has had great results and is protecting the tree for 2-3 years.