1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad news on my new Lazer XS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhenegar, Apr 6, 2006.

1. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

Not a good day for me today. I was mowing like normal and all the sudden pow! Broke the mule drive belt. The bad thing is my mower only has 12 hrs on it. I am hoping it was just a bad belt. Also wondering if any one else has had a new belt break on a new mower. I think my dealer is going to warranty it tom.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

He better warranty it
  3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Only 12 hours it better be under a warranty.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I could be wrong but I don't think belts are covered. Their considered a wear item.
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Whether their under the warranty or not, your dealer or Exmark should replace them free of charge. After 12 hours nothing should be going wrong or breaking, not on something that cost $10+K.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Belts are not covered,keeps us up on what the dealer does.
  7. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

I have a 04 Toro z master that the belt broke last week. apparently it caught the belt guide and broke it and sent the pieces into the pully. called my dealer the next day expecting to buy the parts to fix all of it and to my surprise there was a service bulletin on it. they put 3 new belt guides, plates to keep the belts from going under the pulleys if it does break and best of all a new belt all at no charge in about 15 mins. the mower has 178 hours on it.
  8. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

Well guys I will let you know tom. If he doesn't cover it, he will get an earfull. I don't know why it broke, the grass was 6" isn spots but that has never stopped me before. We finished the job with my old lazer that has 1600 hours on it. So I don't know. Guess maybe a bad belt.
  9. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

A good dealer will warranty a belt,(especially with 12 hours) if at all possible. I had one warrranted at 650hours because a spindle failed and that is what caused the belt to come off and get cut by a pulley.

The dealer was honest and upfront with me and I guess the Exmark people as well. He told me he was trying to warranty it, but that if they denied him I would have to pay. It went through without any question.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

After 12 hrs that rear mule drive tension should be adjusted, as the new belt will stretch. I doubt that caused it (likely a faulty belt), but you never know.

Also, were there any sticks or chestnuts in the lawn? I've had sticks and chestnuts jam and shred a belt several times over the years.