Bad Ol employee....Check this out.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass-scapes, May 10, 2006.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Hired a guy about 2 months ago. Always late, loved his cell phone and cigarettes. Bad about safety equipment.

I was always telling him to put on Safety glasses, or earplugs, or seatbelt. Hated it and would convienently forget every day. Told him last week it was either wear the stuff or be gone. He started wearing the stuff most of the time.
    Well, 2 weeks ago I hire another person...this guys friend. No experience at all. Both of em....LAZY.

The first guy kept cutting corners on stuff. Trimming mostly. Would never trim enough and made it harder on the mowing person. I kept getting on him.

Today, I told him, you either do it right or you will be fired. He said I was just trying to be hard on him. I said if you can't do it right, then I don't need you. He said, fine, I quit and threw my trimmer to the ground and headed to the truck. I made him go pick up the trimmer. He started yellin at me in the parking lot of one of my McDonalds I service. I told him get back to the truck and to keep it down... He said "I don't work for you no more". I said take off the shirt and get away from my truck then.

Get this.....Then he said I needed to take him home right now. LOL. I said you better start calling someone cause I have a lot to finish and I am NOT driving you a half hour to the shop and coming back. Of course he told me I better, or else. His buddy, my other helper was stopped too, and I asked what his intentions were. He quit too. He kept yelling something about I have crap on you and am going to tell the labor board.

Keep in mind, I give them a paycheck weekly, taxes witheld and do everything a legit corporation is supposed to do. I just grinned and I loaded the truck (half finished job) and left them there and went to the next job. Came back and finished a couple hours later.

He called me and said he would be at my house friday morning at 7 am to get his check......I told him payday is Friday afternoon and if he showed up before then, you will be wasting a trip. I will give him his check when I get in from my route friday, which im figuring will be after 6 pm. LOL

Why are these young white boys so damned lazy and so full of attitude?
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

cuz mommy and daddy will see his side of the story.......there aren't many of us who realy like this hot sweaty work! i hope you have better luck with finding some new guys!
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of kids are spoiled, everthing is given to them, they dont' have to work for what they want, but as soon as they really have to, then they arn't prepared and think they know it all. Better off alone then with guys like that
  4. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Been doing this a long time ,all young white boys have issues , mainly are p%@@YS . Its hispanics from now own for us .
  5. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

First off, why in the hell would you hire the first guys buddy when you know the first guy is worthless? That was your second mistake right there. Your first mistake was letting the first guy get away with doing whatever he wanted the majority of the time. At least now they're both gone and you can start fresh with new people.

Something tells me these two were the little wigger types. Ya know the "tough" guys that know everything and spout off at the mouth all day until you get up in their face and they crumble.
  6. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

Are you guys serious? I'm a 24 year old "White Boy" and I started my bissness at 14 with my father. I have worked very hard and made it one of the biggest Lawn care providers in the area. Look I'm not pissed just a little surprised. I know you didn't realy mean "all white boys" but maybe you need to think a little more about what you are saying.
  7. grass-scapes

Its funny you should say that.......He physically threatened me several times and I ignored most of it. The last time though, I walked briskly toward him with a mean look and he shut right up and backed up and away.

But as far as his friend.....I figured he may have been better. I didn't let them get away with things, I just kept having to remind. But you are right, it was my fault for letting it go for so long. I am putting together a manual for the next two guys.
  8. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

I support that statement. I'm sure it was just typed out in a hurry. I've worked along side plenty of crappy attitude, no work ethic white boys but at the same time I've worked along side plenty of great ones too.
  9. grass-scapes

I had been taking applications for several weeks now, and had planned on calling several of them this weekend. I called two of them and its going to rain tomorrow morning and we are scheduled for a meeting.

Two more young white boys, seemingly eager to work. we shall see. I will have my employee manual done tonight, I hope. I am starting these two out less and will give them raises as they learn new jobs and get faster. I think I am going to incorporate a bonus system and keep the pay a little lower for these two. See how that works. Maybe the thought of a bonus at the end of the month will be the incentive to make them learn faster, work faster and do the job right.
  10. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Yep , you are part owner , I m a white boy too , but I own my company .