1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

bad pavers jobs!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Grounds, Oct 29, 2002.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: over the past 2-3 weeks ive been going on estimates to repair bad paver jobs, what makes it real bad is that most if not all have been done w/i the past 3-5 years. every one has said that "they were the cheapest", i think i;ve seen it all. one job was a $30,000 raised patio, the bad part they filled the entire patio with sand, in some places it sank up to 8 inches. i ask them if they tried calling the company and all say the # not in service any longer, go figure. i quess " you get what you pay for" . tony

2. I love it when that happens.

Goes to show they didn't make the right choice.

3. And what % of them do you think will go low bid on repairs?:rolleyes:

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if this is where the term "cobble-job" came from - from cobblestone walks...:D

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bob, I think you nailed it on the head. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the people again go with the lowest bid. Some people are just clueless.

Gravely_Man

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

A few years ago I bid a rebuild project...three tiered walls, 2 raised patios. The customer was in the process of suing the original installer.

He told me the original project price was $18,000. Told me that of those he contacted to do the rebuild, whoever was the lowest bidder would get it.

My bid was just over $30K. I included a note that said something like "You see what you got when you went with the lowest bidder the first time. Let's learn our lesson on the rebuild."