Bad pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NewHorizon's Land, Feb 25, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Who has a portfolio of bad pics from other companies? Doe sthis work for selling? Anyone want to posts some of theirs and SHARE with people? Not talking about pics of your own work per se

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i was interested in putting some pics like that in my portfolio to show prospective customers the end result of going with that other company. ep henry had a lot of them at the show and i was going to see if i could get some of them.

3. NewHorizon's Land

Dam* Wish I would have thought of it then.

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

do you have a conserv rep down in MD? you could ask them for the pics.

5. NewHorizon's Land

Yeah. I will ask him. Thanks

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

It isn't to hard to fill up a book with pics of bad hardscaping jobs. Drive into any subdivision and hope out of your truck. Pick up a rock and throw it. Chances are that it will land on a bad hardscape job!

7. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

you should let your work speak for it self instead of slinging mud, if you do good work you should'nt have to dis your competition

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i agree...when people try and tell me how bad other companies are instead of telling me how good their company is it puts a bad taste in my mouth like they might be trying to hide somehting.

9. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, I would never show pics of what another company has done wrong and push it as a sales tactic to benefit myself. I think most clients would think you're a joke. Let your competition create their own destiny. If they do work that bad people will hear about it.
    The only reason I would ever even consider having project failure pics would be to show clients what can happen if they don't want to pay for that base prep or drainage behind their wall. Sometimes people don't understand that much of a projects success and cost goes into things like base prep and drainage neither of which are ever visible to the client in the end. But even if I did that I would never ever say XYZ Company messed this up real bad...check this out. Talk about a lack of professionalism

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I guess I don't have a big problem with showing folks pics of failed hardscapes, or improperly prepped base, etc, as means of showing how we don't do things. But, I wouldn't, and don't specifically mention names of competitors, and won't put them down.

When folks have asked me how so and so is, I usually tell them to give them a call, ask them about their techniques, ask them for references, and ask to see some of their work. I also arm them with a few key questions, such as use of edge restraint, geo-grid, geo-textile, stonedust as base -- if the contractor doesn't answer right, there's a red flag. I also tell customers it's ok to hire someone else, but strongly consider someone with ICPI, NCMA, and other manufacturer certs. That's one way I try to use our certifications to our advantage.