1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

bad poly

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Oct 18, 2007.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

today we rebuilt a system that was about 25-30 years old because for no reason at all every few weeks it would get a split in the pipe about 2"-3" long. this happened about 10 times this summer so i convinced the owner we need to rebuild this system becase its crazy to keep putting couplings all over the place. and no one was noticing this problem untill it washed out the hill because the owner is only at the house a few times a month. any one ever have this experiance?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

End of service life..nickel dime clients forever..replace..start over.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

was it non nsf pipe?

Ive had some wicked brittle stuff in the ground..I mean It cracked when i gripped it....Im pretty sure it was old non nsf pipe..wicked cheap crap...we ripped it all up and put in good poly...

4. greenmonster304

it wasn't brittle at all

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

weird..what size 1 inch?

6. greenmonster304

inch and a quarter

7. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

8. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey neighbor

Is this residential with 1 1/4 inch poly? Big property?

Anywho, are there signs that the break areas are old scorings/scratches from when the poly was pulled? Was the water pressure increased recently?

I know that some areas around us, the water pressure was boosted big time perhaps in an attempt to keep up with all the new houses going up.

9. greenmonster304

it didnt look like it was scored with anything it just poped and it is on a well not street water

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Man o' man... need some pics. It's usually us pipe guys taking the hits here and would be nice to see poly take its place in the "occasionally goes bad" arena. :laugh: