bad pumps? or bad motor? on new machine.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slicksilverado01, May 1, 2005.

1. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I just purchased my second scag a TT and I have been having lots of probs with the hydros. At first the left side felt all loose compared to the right and didnt seem to have as much power as the right (yes I did check the linkage)...so I droped it off at the dealer and the scag rep was there too. after they got done with it they said there was air in the hydros. (wtf wouldnt that effect both pumps?) they got the "air" out and said it is fine. the left stick felt like normal. well today when I was mowing my yard the right side started screwing up and was like it had no power or if the hydros were dumped. then it went back to normal. then going up a steep hill it didnt make it up all the way. I had the sticks all the way foward and no tires spinning just lots of extra whinning noise from the pumps. I turned around to take it back to my garage and it free wheeled down the hill pulling to the right and ran me into a tree almost causeing me to fly into the tree. I got it to creep to my trailer and it didnt make it up the ramp. so I had a buddy help push while I drove it up.

and they tell me air in the lines???
    I did check the hydro oil level, looks clean. checked the dumps... could there be bad check vavles in the pumps?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds to me like it is sucking air somewhere, a loose line

3. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

hmmm good point... never thought of the lines leaking.....

4. grass_cuttin_fool

could be just a slight looseness and on the suction side of the pump so it wouldnt really show as a leak on the floor or an oily line

5. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

ok well I am going to check the lines out tonight.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

yep, put a wrench on them and try to tighten them a little, may not hardly be any, not enuff to notice, but sometimes just a tad is enuff to suck air and since it is a new mower I figure that may be it. I used to work on forklifts and I always went over the lines when we put a new lift in service, I had the same thing happen a few times

7. Media Lawnscape

Media Lawnscape LawnSite Member

You have an air leak but,

Let the freakin dealer fix it!

You paid good money for a quality machine.

8. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

That was exactly what my neigbor told me to do and that is what I am going to do.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

Thats ok if you have the time to do that, sometimes it is faster to fix or try to fix it yourself. I quess its the mechanic in me to try and figure things out lol.. Plus the exp to fix it after the warranty is out and the dealer says im backed up for 3 days before I can get to you

10. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

nah my dealer is good to me and always gets things done the same day I bring it in. and if I need to mow when it is in the shop they will give me a demo mower of my chose to use for free while mine is in the shop for warrenty or no warrenty. plus I drive by my dealer daily when going out. tomorrow all day I am just remulching 4 yards and tues start mowing again. so I dont need my mower tomorrow.