Bad quote

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by promower, Jun 11, 2013.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS I am interested in seeing your super duper job cost estimating sheet if your willing to share.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

It was my first wall solo. And my usual supplier (for pavers and stone) was 30 mins away. This guy was 5 minutes so I didn't give it a second thought. I had the low quote in writing but they wouldn't honor it. Now I won't even send customers there for free samples.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

This is why you get every quote in writing. Also never phone in a order. Always email it or text it. Its also good to have a paper trail when the supplier screws up and you don't end up getting all the material you were suppose to.

4. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to honor the quotes you give customers, why shouldn't they? I hope this worked out for you

5. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I meant my last comment for you, hope this worked out. You bid on a job, and are expected to honor that price. They bid on the material, and they don't have to? You deserve that restitution.

6. promower

This somewhat worked out, my supplier gave me some money back, about 40% After we finished the job the customer wanted us to install stairs with the same material. I informed them that the bid would change because I was misquoted originally. The customer reimbursed me the remaining 60% I had lost. I did not ask them to do this they just did it and we are also installing the stairs now in the fall.

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

This is what happens when you quote material and labour separate. I have never worked that way. If you are worried about losing a grand over a 30 pallet job, I think you were underpriced to start with. There are many ways to lose more than a grand on a job that size. Material misquotes being one!

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Canada to the United States. An Apple to Grapes comparison, in terms of markets.

In the Unites States the profit margins for hardscape work are slim to near nothing. There is no money in installing pavers. Unless you're in a market with a lot of what we call "old money". "Old money" means the kids have finished college, the parents have paid off their house, college loans, and have retired. They have saved up some money and NOW after all those years of spending it on the family.....they're going to spend it on theirselves and get what they been always wanting.

My market is so tight with the numbers that YES, I would be worried about losing $1,000.00 on a 30 pallet job.

9. promower

I did ok on the job, no one wants to lose money though especially when it was on material that was quoted wrong.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

You need to mark up materials much more than what you are, or you need to get better pricing. How much discount do you guys typically get on your interlock purchases. The way I am reading things is if you don't make a dime on material, then why not just get the customer to purchase it. Let them deal with losing a grand.