Bad quote

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by promower, Jun 11, 2013.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

We sell labor not brick, I do it without a markup because the customer will screw it up. And if they saw that the brick for a $10k patio only cost $1500 they would have a stroke.

2. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

X2

You need to at least make make the difference between retail and wholesale. Or more.

3. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

Where is your market? Have you considered moving? " Old money" is generally inherited which are the best clients.

4. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Just curious what kind of work you're doing these days if not hardscapes?

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I have written extensively on why we do not mark up Hardscape materials.

Marking up plants and trees for warranty replacement - a different story. Which I have written extensively about this as well.

We sell labor, not retailers.

I make money off of labor. There are many labor only industries. Such as excavating, lawn mowing, house cleaning, custom farming, well drilling, trucking, snow plowing, towing, etc.

Anyone ever heard of a man named 'Charles Vanderkoi'? If so, then you're well aware if his feelings about material mark up.

For more information, do a search on my user name regarding material mark up.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. DVS Hardscaper

No drake. Thanks to the recession I've never been happier. Good can come from bad and it has.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

You can only charge what the market will bear. I could price a job at 20k. I could have 8k of material with no markup and charge 12k for the labor. DVS could come in and price the job also at 20k. Maybe he marked up material 2k but only charged 10k for labor.

Anyhow, marking up material isn't a predictiable way to recover overhead.

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I like to count the squares of sidewalk in front of the house and miltiply that by 1000, subtract 100 to make it sound like theyre getting a deal. Uhhh the patio will be $9900!! Thats less than ten grand!!

9. DVS Hardscaper

A way to gauge the market is by the car dealerships in the area.

If all the dealerships are GM, Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Mits, Honda - then there isn't much expendable income there to be had. Your jobs will mostly consist of the 16x20 rectangular patio with a sitting wall on one corner.

If there are some BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Lotus, Porche, Lamber dealerships - then there is money in that market. Your jobs will consist of plantings designed by an architect, lighting of columns on the house, outdoor kitchen, and iron fencing around the pool.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  10. DVS Hardscaper

It requires the same labor to install non-tumbled 6x6 and 6x9 pavers as it does to install TUMBLED modular pavers.

The TUMBLED modular pavers cost more. The non-tumbled 6x6 and 6x9 cost LESS.

If I were to mark up the most costly pavers - I would price myself out of the park.