bad regulator or not

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BODIDDLY, Oct 30, 2005.

1. BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY LawnSite Member

kohler 25 hp cv25s spec 65913. my battery is not charging. is there a way to test my voltage regulator? or any other ideas why the battery would not be charging?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is no test for the regulator. What you do is unplug the regulator and check for battery voltage on the center wire (should be purple). If that is present then take a multimeter set on AC volts and put a lead on each white wire on the regulator plug and start the engine and rev it up, You should get a reading of 32 volts or above. If thats ok the regulator is bad. If you don't get the voltage reading the stator is bad.

Good luck

3. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

Just one thing to add. Make sure the regulator is grounded. This has been enough of an issue that Kohler changed from a ground wire on the regulator to an L shaped metal ground bracket.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

With the engine running at full throttle check the voltage at the battery. If all you get is battery voltage of 12 volts or so then you may have a problem. If you get a reading of say 13 or 14 volts then the charging system is working. Kohler does make a tester for regulators part number 25 761 20-S but it will set you back about $90. Check the ground lead as restrorob said, I just had one in the shop last week with a charging problem that ended up being a bad regulator ground lead. Some units use a metal L shaped bracket and some use a short wire. And you CAN NOT remove battery voltage from the regulator and check out because as soon as the regulator loses the reference voltage from the battery it shuts down.

5. VegetiveSteam

as restorob said? :(

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, Me too :confused:

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, I credited the quote to the wrong person

Make sure the ground lead or metal strap is intact , clean and securely fastened on the voltage regulator.

GROUND LEAD DETAILS.JPG

8. VegetiveSteam

9. JALEXANDERSLC

JALEXANDERSLC LawnSite Member

I know this post is VERY old but I am having this problem. I am not getting any voltage on the purple wire. What does this mean? Does it mean the starter solenoid is bad? Can that cause the battery to not charge?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. VegetiveSteam

No voltage on the purple wire means you are not connected to the battery. You can't charge a battery you aren't connected to. Where you checking for voltage with the key turned on? The starter soleniod has nothing to do with charging. Follow the purple wire back toward the battery until you find voltage. Once you find that you should find the problem.