Bad Salesman... Very Funny

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MowingInAZ, Jul 22, 2005.

1. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

Well today I purchased a Craftsman GT5000, but ran into the most uneducated salesman I've ever seen. Here's a bit of our conversation. Salesman= S, Me=M

S "Hello Sir, how may I help you today"
    M "I need advice on buying a new lawn tractor"
    S "Ok well let me show you some our our best models"
    S "This here is the Craftsman DYT4000"
    M "What are some of the features on this model"
    S "Well it has a very nice paint job and a cupholder"
    M "I would like to know about the mower deck and the transmission type"
    S "A mower deck?"
    M "It's how wide the mowing swath is"
    S "Oh let me ask the manager"
    M "Ok" (quietly humming to myself)
    S "This model has a 48 in deck"
    M "Does it have a hydro or a shift?"
    S "uh... well er... this... uh... model has the one that you don't have to shift"
    M "Can I see some more models?"
    S "Sure, right over here is the DGT6000, it's our finest mower
    M "What exactly makes it your finest mower"
    S "It has all them bells and whistles"
    M "What is the difference between the DGT6000 and the DYT4000?"
    S "Take a look"
    M (hands me a brochure) "Ok, well I like this GT5000 over there
    S "That mower is very popular"
    M "What is the price?"
    S "uh... well... take a look on the... uh... price list
    M "Ok, $2200, I'll take it, do you deliver?"
    S "Do you mean the mower?"
    M "WHAT ELSE WOULD I MEAN?"
    S "Yes, we do"
    M (I walk out of Sears and have learned a valuable lesson, never ask questions)

2. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Yeah, the first days on a new job are a *****. Sounds like the owner or manager prefers a sink or swim approach to the train 'em yourself approach. Unfortunately for the customer, the sink or swim approach is the more effective. I'm sure that guy will remember for a long time what deck size means. :p

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The term "finest model" and sears lawn tractor are not even in the same catagory. Save your 2 grand and buy a used anything COMMERCIAL mower instead of a sears POS that will hardly last a homeowner a season.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You are right, even my retired '95 52" sfs will still run circles around new sears mowers AND go longer between down-times with well over 4 thousand yards under her belts.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I will never buy anything from Sears as far as tools go again and havent for a long time.I do like the Kenmore appliances though.
    But tools,mowers, tractors,blowers and weedwackers NOWAAY they are CRAP!and they don't stand behind them and fix them when you have a problem either.

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

craftsman tools have life time waranty. I love it, you break a wrench, shovel, pruning sheers, etc. and you can get a new one just by taking it there, no reciept nessary. but I agree everything else is garbage.

7. the craftsman I have is over 12 years old and has only had 1 spindle changed in that time and is still used everyday for commercial and residential cuts on small acreage I guess if you look after anything like you should it will last. as a matter of fact it cut 6 hrs. yesterday @ an avg. of $40.00 an hour.........................

8. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

I didn't need a commercial mower, I just needed a residential tractor to mow my lawn. When I'm buying a commercial mower, I always buy a JD or a Dixon Chopper ZTR. If I had more money to spend on a residential mower, I would've gotten a JD. I'm happy with it though, so that's all that counts.