1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad Sod job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green with envy, Sep 16, 2004.

1. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Hi Guys, I have this lawn that I got. Sod was put down in the spring and in many places its is not taking. No mater how careful I am I still tear up some sod. "Not rooting at all" They just laid the sod on top of hard clay.
    I'm thinking of suggesting a complete aeration and putting down lime. There are some REAL bad spots that I will have to strip and re seed. What are your thoughts on the clay areas where the sod is not taking? They have been watering religiously.

Thanks for your help.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Probably due to bad installation, soil test at a reputable place if you want to confirm soil is good, check for web worms too before getting too deep into it. You might have to do the whole thing over again, more $ for you.
  3. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

In the majority of the lawn it is taking but on the slightest slopes it wont take. Also the place is fairly shady and as you know, sod is grown in sunny areas. So when I Aerate i will over seed witha Quality sun/shade mix. "more shade than sun"

PAXLSI LawnSite Member

Try top dressing with compost after you aerate. Works great on clay soil. Around here we have a lot of new homes going up, the builders strip off the topsoil before building and never puts it back, just lays sod over the subsoil. I sell the compost as a multivitiman to my clients. Did this with my In-Laws lawn (sod on subsoil) this past spring, kept it green and growing all season, getting ready now to do another application this month.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

DO NOT APPLY LIME until a soil test is done. As the others have mentioned, aerate and add compost. You can also add gypsum to help loosen clay soil.