bad sod story who's to blame

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jul 20, 2012.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

so client installed a golf putting green by large landscape company(fake green) in basically a wet land. i was given the job to cut the sod.

first of all have you ever seen a golf coarse use sod?

about 1.5 months ago. installed when it was 95 deg....hottest summer on record here too!21 days over 85...it looked ok until it needed to be cut....some burnt spots.

there is irrigation, but its a poor job.

there is poor drainage under the shade trees and one area that gets full sun(hill side). the irrigation is not really zoned. the sunny dry spot and the shaded wet area is under the same zone

i ended up turning down the water because the sod was floating....laying over and suffocating.

now its a big mess and the landscaper s long gone. owner claims it looked good until i got into the mix. now its all burnt and a real mess.

i was set up to fail. i wish he would tear it out and put seed down!

what do i do?

2. lawdawg

lawdawg LawnSite Member

Run!!!! Lol

3. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

with all the water in it,
    I'm sure the soil ph level is whacked out.
    along with everything else...so

sounds like everything is out of balance, mowing frequency, irrigation, proper nutrient levels.
    Next up turf fungi, pest propblems and other diseases.

4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

This is the reason why, when a customer called last year to ask us to help them "fix" the area around this in-ground pool they had installed...

Let me tell you something...

When a customer has the money to spend on something really outrageous and expensive...
    Such as an in-ground pool, or a golf course in their back yard...
    Yeah, they had all the money to spend for that (which is not cheap) but now all of a sudden they need one of us to "help" them?

Take that as a clue, chances are it's time to run because once you take on the job it's your baby.

And usually when they ask us for help in the middle to late stages of the game, it's because somewhere, somehow there's been a snag...
    And that's the reason why I kind of let the job with the in-ground pool fall by the wayside.
    It wasn't our job to begin with, they never asked us to install it (not that we could have, but they didn't ask either) so why ask us now?
    Because there's been a problem and they're hoping we don't see it, chances are I wouldn't see it because I'm not the expert on in-ground pools nor golf courses so here again why call me, or maybe they were hoping we could wave the magic wand.
    That's why...

Yeah man, you should have politely declined the sod cutting job, why didn't the other company finish it?
    That's the question you should have asked...

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  5. grass disaster

I already cut the rest. I guess I wanted the work considering its dry as a bone everywhere and I figured with the irrigation I'd have some work...I have some work now boy, repair work on the house :(
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. grass disaster

How much is a roll of sod now days?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Politely explain the situation to your customer and let him go. If you choose to continue
    to try and polish this turd you will have the same results or worse. Don't be a turd polisher!.
    easy-lift guy

8. grass disaster

Yes unfortunately it makes it out to look like I f'ed it all up. When it was due to bad landscape design and bad irrigation. Along with record breaking heat.

On other areas he has the irrigation turned up so much the grass is turning yellow and not growing. His thoughts on this are, its not growing...let's dump more water on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Um, YES! lol many times and lots of it.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am hoping this type of thing doesn't happen to you too often but then I looked at your screen name and its coming together.

Just kidding. I think your in a mess. I would wait until cooler weather and try and see if you can salvage anything. This is a bad year for anything to grow including all of our bank accounts.