Bad Spindle

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mindless, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

PJ,

As I attempted to install Gator Blades on 20/52 FasTrak with <1 hr time on mower, center spindle presented a problem. The blade spindle bolt required more effort than necessary to remove. I used a 1/2" breaker bar with proper socket and blade lock tool in position. The breaker bar broke free the spindle bolt but after I got a couple of turns on it with the rachet, the bolt became stubborn and I ended up placing the breaker bar back on spindle bolt. Bolt was turning with breaker bar however, bolt was not backing out like it should. I ended up removing the access panel above the deck and placing a wrench on the top spindle bolt in order to remove bottom spindle bolt. It appears that the threads inside the spindle (the last inch) are not a clean cut. Have you encountered this problem with other blade spindles?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have not, and this is the first time I have heard of this happening.
    Please contact your dealer and advise him of your situation, I am sure they will take the necessary steps to fix the unit.

Pj

3. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Broke the news of bad spindle to dealer I purchased mower from on Saturday, June 19. I bought this mower new < 3 weeks ago. I also informed dealer I needed gas cap for other gas tank (bulletin #369 applies)...getting the first cap took almost a week. According to the bulletin, replace faulty gas caps before operating mower due to potential fire. Anyway, I called back Monday, 21 June for status of replacement spindle and gas cap. I talked to the same parts person who I picked up 3 gator blades and gas cap from on Friday, 19 June. (OBTW, parts markup was 100% above MSRP and I pay freight...that is another story in itself). Getting back to the spindle. His comment was to run a tap to clean spindle threads and replace spindle bolt. I said no and that I wanted spindle and spindle bolt/washer replaced with new. He calls me back after consulting with his warranty person and leaves message that I need to pay for new parts/freight. Bad parts are then sent to Hustler to determine if I get reimbursed. Bull$h*t!!! I called Hustler direct. Without question, Hustler is taking care of me. As I said before, mower has < 1 hr time on it. Owned it for almost 3 weeks and not able to use it (gas cap issue). My lawn requires 2x a week cut. I've had to beg, borrow and pay to cut my lawn while my brand new, shiney yellow painted FasTrak sits idle in the garage. Tell me now whether or not this is appropriate dealer customer service for a brand new mower covered under warranty. If not, what course of action do you recommend I pursue? I'm thinking the answer is, not. Courses of action running through my mind: return mower for full refund, letter to owner of dealer/Better Business Bureau/Hustler detailing my experience with dealer. Comments welcome. Thank you.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Did they contact the dealer ? or distributor ?
    Please e-mail me your info and model and serial # so I can follow up on this.

Pj

5. DylanG

DylanG LawnSite Member

I see you are in Northern VA. Is your dealer Lawn & Leisure? After my first experience with their parts/service dept I was ready to never talk to them again. It was unacceptable.

I complained (nicely) to Tom who is the owner and was also the person who sold me the mower. Tom took my complaints very seriously and got the problem resolved immediately.

I don't like that I had to do this. I should have gotten good service from the parts dept in the first place. But at least Tom was very responsive when I brought the problem to his attention. If L&L is your dealer I suggest getting Tom involved.

6. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Dylan,

I purchased a Snapper Rear Engine rider from L&L in Sterling about 5 years ago and Tom is the one who sold it to me. I did not purchase my F/T from L&L. I was aware L&L sold the Hustler line but when I needed service/parts for my Snapper while under warranty, the customer service just wasn't there. I vowed not to do business with L&L again.

7. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

PJ,

Please check your PM for my earlier reply to your request for information on my F/T. Thank you.

Mindless

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I just read your PM a little while ago, I am not sure why I did not notice it earlier.
    I have forwarded all the info to the factory rep in your area, and he will look into this situation.

Pj