1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad tilt bed equip trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by it excavate, Sep 28, 2006.

1. it excavate

it excavate LawnSite Member

I bought a new 16' tilt + 4' stationary 14,000lb equip trailer couple months ago and this thing is driving me nuts! It has a weird bounce that pulls and pushes my truck (superduty 1 ton dually), it doesn't sway but it's the roughest riding trailer I've ever towed. It had good dexter torsion axles and a very heavy duty frame and I sure can't see anything obvious that's wrong. I tow a 9400# excavator and a 7500# track loader so it's not overloaded. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or know anything about this kind of a problem. I also have a 14,000# PJ dump trailer w/ spring axles that tows like a dream compared to the tilt "cup thrower".
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What does the trailer have for tires are they LT-235/85R16s ?

It sounds like you have a bent wheel or junk tires I imagine if the trailer is new the manufacturer probably puts the cheapest tires they can on it. If the tires are Goodyear I'am not surprised they got to be the worst for thumps and bumps.
  3. it excavate

it excavate LawnSite Member

They are ST 235 80R16 Super Trail Radial S/T, probably even worse than Goodyears. Can crappy tires make it ride that bad? I've seen crap tires make a huge difference in a truck, but never seen that in a trailer.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a bummed tire it will make a trailer bounce too especially with a empty trailer.

If you replaced the trailer tires with a rib light truck tire something like a Hankook Dynapro AS RH 03 or BF Goodrich Commercial Allseason TA or Toyo M-54 or the most expensive Michelin XPS rib which is probably the best tires.

A LT-235/85R16 Michelin XPS Rib would probably last you a long time they carry a good load and far far better than any " trailer tire".
  5. PPMnh

PPMnh LawnSite Member

sounds like TOO much tongue weight. it's obviously better to have more than less (or you could get into a deadly sway). try moving your load back a couple inches to take 50-100lbs of weight off the tongue. don't go too crazy.