Bad timer?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, May 23, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I was at a repair yesterday where the fuse was blowing on #4. I took out the fuse and was checking the solenoids to figure out which was #4. Without the fuse in the timer, I was zapped! And it was more than 24 volts. WeatherMatic Lawn Master timer. I did not have my meter to check out what the xfrmr was putting out, but it was more than 24 volts that zapped me. She then informed me that when she bought it years ago, she bought it on sale for being "re-built".

Hmmm.... I'm thinking timer is shot. It shold not be putting out power with the fuse OUT of the timer. And dial was turned to off. Weird things man.
  2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

why waste time figuring out why timer does not operate? change out timer, make $ and move on.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Timer operates. Other than it shocking the hell out of me. There was a bad wire (somehow) that was blowing the fuse. I really didn't waste any time checking out the timer.
  4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

24 vac bites.

There are also 110vac controls.

Some fuses are for the primary side and some the secondary side of any transformer. Still others are between the field wiring and the controller.

Brian, Z4 was burning the fuse. If the zone wire is disconnected and it doesn't burn, it is a wire or solinoid. You'd have sold a controler for no good reason and then been frustrated when the new one failed too.