1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bad times with cleanup work

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by zechstoker, Apr 6, 2013.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

We had a cleanup job to do today that I really didn't want to mess with, but my brother was bent on doing the job. This job was mentioned in my thread "Recurring Cleanup". Well, we went out to do it, and nothing good became of it. End result: A trip to the ER for me, and now my mower is busted all to hell.

First issue: We decided to knock down the whole thing with a couple line trimmers, blow the debris into rows, rake it up, and mow the remainder down. At some point in all that, I realized a foxtail managed to get caught inside my ear canal, couldn't get it to come out, so I had to go to the emergency room to get it removed. They checked me in, and got it taken care of in less than a hour.

After the ER visit, we went back to the jobsite to try and finish up. Well, I went to run the mower back there for the 2nd time, and ran over a pry-bar. Bent up the blade and busted the engine pretty bad. I suppose it would've been in my best interest to just take the rest of the day off after the first incident, but I wasn't ready to throw in the towel. Now I've been forced to.

By the end of the day, I'm just glad I didn't damage my ear any worse, and at least I have another mower so I can resume work on Monday.

2. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Those days are the worst. We have had our share of days like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Hearing protection has multiable uses.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. zechstoker

Here's the mess we started with:
    [​IMG]

And this is about where we were at when everything went to crap:
    [​IMG]

5. zechstoker

I usually wear some sort of ear protection, or headphones at the very least. I didn't think about it today, but that's definitely a reminder to ALWAYS wear them when running equipment. Not a good way to learn my lesson, but it happens I guess.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

How much did you charge
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I remember those "foxtails" in california, they would get in a dogs ear, never herd of one getting into a human ear, but stuff happens.

8. zechstoker

Not nearly as much as it's costing us.
    I think the cleanup was priced at $250 if memory me right. I wasn't the one that gave the estimate for it, and I never saw the paperwork. Pretty sure he said it was $250 though.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If I can't see what under what I am cutting down, it gets done with a Landscape blade or articulating hedge trimmer. No string or single rotating blades. String and rotating blades will hurl shrapnel like thorns or seeds, as you found out.

10. zechstoker

I use the articulating hedge trimmer on cleanups when the bulk of the mess is stuff like mallow, thistles, and wild sunflowers, but haven't had much luck using that when it comes to overgrown grass-like weeds. Might've been better off just renting a machine with a sicle bar or something. We'll have to do that next time we get a job like that. Can't undo what's already been done.