1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bad times with cleanup work

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by zechstoker, Apr 6, 2013.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Stranger things have happened. The nurse at the hospital didn't even know what a foxtail was, and she lives here! I'm just glad she wasn't the one who had to extract it. Better to have someone who's familiar with them do that. The burrs on those things are kinda like barbed fish hooks.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Those things are wicked, especially when they turn brown, hope your ok. I remember I had some customers that I had to weed wack their hills to prevent fire.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

sorry to hear about this man.

i guess this just shows everyone even this job sucks too at times just like any other job out there.
  4. zechstoker

Aside from the broke down eXmark, everything's alright. I'll just have to use the old HRC216 while the eXmark is in the shop getting fixed. As of current, the boss doesn't know anything about this since he's camping in the mountains with both of his son's this weekend. I'm sure he's gonna hit the ceiling when he gets back tomorrow and finds out about all this.
  5. zechstoker

Update on the price of the job: Found out it was a $325 job. Shoot, it's probably gonna cost more than that just to fix the mower.
  6. zechstoker

Apparently my brother thought the whole thing was funny enough to turn a picture from that job into a "meme".

7. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I would have rented a brush cutter for that job. $350 done in an hr
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

an extended hedge trimmer with adjustable head set at a 20 - 30 degree angle or a string whip on wheels,,, followed up by a blower and tarp... don't feel too bad,,, as it happens to the best of us at times,,, just so long as the lesson was learned... :)
  9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Funny when I started I bought one, I never get any work like that.

Another thing that works is a super cheap mower with a 3.5 briggs, it will stall when hitting something before it bends or breaks the mower.
  10. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Best to rent a field mower/brush hog.

Customer does not want to pay then leave the job for some one else to break a mower.

A good lesson for you and a good reminder for the rest of use.