Bad Weather "its a twister"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Mar 19, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Any southern or southwest LCO ever get caught in a twister. I was just watching a TV show on tornado's and I swear I saw a guy on a big red rider trying to finish a lawn and they showed a tornado in the distance. Has anyone ever encountered one while mowing?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Nope, and I hope I never do.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

never with a twister, always with lightening storms. People always drive by staring at me thinking I am nutz, but the work has to get done. And if it's my time to go, then it's my time to go

4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Last year me and the kid helping me were out when it got stormy. We got the last one done and started heading home when it hit. Something we have here in Oklahoma called a "gustnado" went through about a mile or so north of us. When we turned on a street to take us home, there was debris all over the street, traffic lights out, some trees down...it was pretty crazy. Im just glad we werent in the middle of it.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen 2 in my life up real close in St. Louis and Omaha...sounds like a 100 freight trains and scary as all hell too.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take the tornado's over the weather that you guys get. Their motto is:

Up North Starts Here

I prefer my weather a little warmer although I'm sure the summers are beautiful!

9. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Never got caught in a twister, but one time we were on our jetskis going through a no wake zone in Clearwater, Fl when we started seeing boats flying past us well above the wake zone speed.
    We said what the @#$%?
    I look behind me and there was a water spout coming right behind us.
    Thank God we all had our Yam GP1200's at the time with the motors all decked out for racing and we hauled ass.

10. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

Not while working.....have been in some hail though.

That said, my house was completely destroyed in the May 3rd Oklahoma City tornado...