Bad Year

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by randy2625, Apr 12, 2006.

1. randy2625

randy2625 LawnSite Member

So ya so far this year it has been a bad year. Sent out 2 ads one to 50,000 no calls and one to 120,000 no calls. One was a full page one was a half page. Passed out about 2000 flyers on my own. Then i did 20 commericial bids which 2 have called me back to let me know i got under bidded. So ya hopefully soemthing happens soon or i dont know what im going to do.

2. RandyAndSons

RandyAndSons LawnSite Member

Make sure your ad is not to Overwhelming. A smaller Ad is always good. I my self have a small ad that i run in the weekly paper and get good call backs on.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

any instals and such.....if the milbury area isnt too far from you, i might a have a lead for you... im way too busy to do it.... let me know...

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

It hasnt been a great start for me either.Im usually booked with spring cleanups but this year im at about half of what i normally do. I didnt lose any customers just didnt pick up as many new ones as i expected. I think the increased costs of everything has some people trying to do their own lawn care instead of paying someone

5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Last your I had more than I could handle. This year is slow, after saturday I will have all my clean-ups done and just have to wait for the lawns.

6. randy2625

randy2625 LawnSite Member

Ya i guess it seems like a bad year then. These rising gas prices arnt nice either. but the millbury area is about 5 mins from my house, i do installs for landscaping to depending on the size of them. I try to to get any real big jobs, but landscaping is also alittle slow. Do you think it is to late to go out and pass out some more flyers this week maybe do alittle door to door. that has always work well for me.

7. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Couldn't hurt could it? Better than doing nothing. :)

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do not speak or write the words"Bad Year" you are drawing bad Karma toward yourself every time you think it or say it or write it.Think say and write that this is going to be a "Good Year!"
    "Great Year!""Fantastic Year!""Profitable Year!"
    Do not allow the negative energy in.Look it in the face and deny it every chance.
    You need to be open to good things..
    if you continue to think like this you will make your own bad luck.

9. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

give it some time. most people wait till the last minute

10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a few tips:

1. pass out lots of flyers, and put deadlines on them. Like 1 free cut if you sign up with us before such and such date. but do not make it to far in advance.

2. Offer discounts, like 10% off on mulch jobs over 500.00 or yard clean-ups over 250.00

3. Offer incentives to your customers, like " tell your family and friends about us and for every 2 that sign up with our seasonal lawn service you will recieve 1 cut free".

I tried all 3 of these ideas this week and i can't keep up with the phone calls. I signed up 11 new grass cutting customers this week. Gonna try it again next week and make the deadline for the 22nd.

After that i am not gonna pass out any more flyers, just thinking of running an add in a couple locations in a paper for a few weeks. hoping it will bring in a bit more work.