Bad?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kut N Edge, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Kut N Edge

Kut N Edge LawnSite Member

Is it bad to have your dealer an hour away from you? Its an exmark dealer but i have a deere dealer about 5 minutes from my house. I like exmark because it have more options for mowers.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

its NOT bad,

but remember, what ever you need you will have to drive there,

it will wind up being a PITA unless its on your way or you service this area

3. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I wouldn't really worry about an hour. That's easy for me to say, because my ExMark dealer is on the other side of town, about 20 minutes away. I guess it would get old if you had to get parts often, but I haven't really had that problem with mine.

4. Kut N Edge

I dont service an hour away. An hour away for me is like 4 little cities away. Its because exmark has a 36" hydro drive and deere only have a 36" gear drive. I have only small residential properties so i wanted a 36" but i guess im gonna go with a 48" hydro deere because the dealer is only 5 minutes away from pretty much everywhere i service. If you all think other then please let me know. Thanks.

5. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I cant belive that they dont have a 36 hydro! I dont think I will ever buy a deere for that reason. Why wouldnt they!!!

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

My Harley dealer is an hour away. Not a problem.

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

right, and since we are talking about our luxury toys that dont make us our living, i suppose its relavent. this is why im frustrated with this site, people ramble about worthless things while he had a good and seriour question. an hour away will kill you when it rained for 3 days straight and the first day you get to mow your mower goes down. the 5min thing was the right move in my mind. to me dealer service is much more important than mower brands.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

That depends, would he drop ship to you ? Would he deliver ? The company I deal with for Briggs parts does both. If I'm in a hurry, he will ship it to me the next day, if not, he has a route for when he delivers parts to other dealers and adds me to the route. If I'm stuck, he is only 1/2 an hour away:rolleyes: When I worked for TrueGreen, the shop rule was if they didn't ship or deliver, we did not deal with them. We where not allowed to pick stuff up, even if it was just around the corner. It's cheaper to have UPS deliver then to drive out to any dealer with the cost of gas now,
    If he won't dropship, trans ship or deliver, go to some one who will:weightlifter:

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, an hour away is too much, unless you plan on accepting full responsibility for anything that could go wrong with it, I like having a dealer in my service area so that if something craps out I can run past there, also with some parts if I need it now and they have it.

The distance itself means little so long they're in my service area, with a warranty item and if you don't have 8-10 years under your belt, even then I'd hate the thought of an hour drive, you just never can be 100% sure what is going to fail in the first year.

All it takes is one time, something stupid goes wrong, some little 2 minute thing but you can't figure it out and it's almost still brand spanking new. You'll either curse for having to fool with troubleshooting a brand new machine and hope nothing else breaks, or you'll curse every mile of the drive lol.

Get a dealer close by, it's a must.

10. Kut N Edge

Thanks alot guys for the input. I guess i will go with DEERE!!